An offer of programming assistance.

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
psychopath

An offer of programming assistance.

Post by psychopath » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:18 am

Hello hello!

Seems like every time I post I have to say that "most of you probably don't remember me". Whenever I come by here, there's basically a whole new set of active users :p. Anyway, a few days ago I decided to check in on the RF community to see what was happening these days, as I periodically do, and I decided to grab RF2 from SVN to see how the project was going.

At the same time, I also downloaded RF1, since I hadn't played with it since version 070 (or maybe it was 071). Then I started reminiscing about the the 'good old days' when I used to use RF and how much fun it was (for me, anyway :p).

Then it struck me, that maybe I should stop being greedy, and see if I could lend a hand to the RF2 developers. For the last couple of months I've been working on my own engine as a hobby project to keep my skills up to date. Looking at the RF2 code, we seem to be headed in similar directions (Ogre, Bullet, Python, etc).

So first of all, if it's of any use to you at all, you can grab my code from svn at https://sakti.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/sakti. It's not without it's problems, but you might be able to find something useful in there for RF. I have a BSP loader and 3D World Studio loader around somewhere that you might want, though I haven't integrated it into sakti yet. The loaders convert the formats into regular .mesh format for Ogre. I figure this might be better performance-wise to the BSP scene manager. Also, my python code probably wouldn't be working right now if I hadn't looked at the RF2 code, so thanks for that :).

Also, from what I can remember RF2 is supposed to run on Windows and Linux, but I don't recall any mention of mac support. I do most of my coding on the mac these days, so if you like, I could help out with porting and setting up the mac cross-platform stuff in the engine code.

And if there's anything else I can do, just let me know :). I'm proficient in C++, C++/CLI, C# and Java and I'm learning Python and Objective-C++ as I go. So I should be able to handle a variety of tasks if you need me to.

ardentcrest

Re: An offer of programming assistance.

Post by ardentcrest » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi psychopath, Nice to see an old face back in the community.

Why not PM AndyCR The main programmer or paradoxnj who is doing the work at the moment untill Andys wrists get back in to working order. It would be nice to see more people get on board.

As you can see from the SVN its been a while since it has been updated ( HAY UPDATE THE SVN SOMEONE ).

But while you wait why not take a look at this and see what you can do.

This is an old program going back to 1998.

It is limated in what you can do with is as most of the colours you can use are uesed for the enetites, and not the walls.

you can olny make horizontal and vertical walls, and you can just forget about making curved or diagonal walls.

This is a great program, but it could be better, much better.

it need a good GUI, in which you can do all the editting of the BMP file. ie push a button and you can add a door, push another one gives you a window or part of a wall and so on.

Ive asked some of our own programmers about upgrading this program for RF but most are off doing thier own project.

it would be nice to see this working for us.

http://user.txcyber.com/~si_slick/bmp2map/
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

psychopath

Post by psychopath » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:55 am

Yes, a PM probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Dunno why I didn't in the first place :p.

As for that program, I can have a look at it, but I'm not sure why it would really need a GUI for image editing. Although maybe one for more user-friendliness couldn't hurt.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Contact me via AIM. My SN is linuxparadox.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

dylanwinn

Post by dylanwinn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 am

I know I wasn't involved in this conversation, but I do have one thing to add. While I am a devout Mac hater, I would love to see RF2 ported to the Mac. The reason I say this is that in the Open Source spirit, all platforms must be supported equally. Hell, without that, I wouldn't be able to run Linux Multimedia Studio or Open Arena on Windows! Besides, new Macs, with their Intel CPUs and ATI GPUs, can be considered midrange gaming machines, but there are no games to play on them! Shame, but RF2 could change all that. Mad_Props to you!

P.S. If you don't already watch Hak5, you should!

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Windows will be done first, but ultimately RF2 will run on all platforms that Ogre supports. This includes the editor.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....