Sample RF Object Script

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
zany_001

Re: Sample RF Object Script

Post by zany_001 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3418
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4189

I'd say yes there will be a level editor, and it sounds like the editor will run the game in a frame, and you can edit the game in that frame, so it will be better than RF1.
However it also sounds like scripting will be more powerful, but maybe more complex too. But I expect that the default scripts will be fine for those that don't want to do much scripting.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Yes zany but they are old threads and things look as though they have changed since then. All the talk has been about scripting lately and no previews or anything to show an editor is being made.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:40 pm

I think andy was the one doing the editor, and he's nursing his wrist, which may explain why we haven't heard more. I highly doubt they will have no editor at all.

If you are worried about scripting being too complicated, I saw on the mailing list that there will be a lot of customizability if you want it, but the defaults are enough for Average Joe Who Can't Program to make a game.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:19 am

I am sorry for not answering quicker. I got busy at work all week.

@Bernie...Zany is correct. The editor is going to be part of the game shell. The theory is, you define your own objects using script, then place them using the editor. The editor will be simple. You start RF2, press F12 to get the editor GUI. The editor will use CEGUI for the GUI. To place an object, navigate to the spot you want, select the object from the treeview, then click add. You can move it around and edit the properties of the object by selecting it. So...it will be different than the RF1 editor, but simpler to use. It will be true WYSIWYG editing with real time lighting, shaders and compositors. The world file format will be script. So the editor will generate a script when it saves the world. This script could be editing by hand or loaded back into the editor just like a 3DT file.

It will also allow you to create you own entites and define your own behaviors through script for each and every object. You could just also use the generic objects. So...using script would give you more power, but the option not to is there also.

@Zany - That is good. You have the animation right on the money except, you don't have to define anything. Just call obj.setAnimation("Idle") or obj.setAnimation("kneedrop")
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....