RF2 Update: Player class and crude movement

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Re: RF2 Update: Player class and crude movement

Post by hgt_terry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:39 am

I seem to remeber the openal32 as a installable version and it makes a set of folders and you have to get vc8 to see the folder i will look and see where it is set i dont know if this is the prob but lets check that i will post later and see if i can find the installer url

Thanks
Terry

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Bernie, I will get you my DLLs from my bin folder. You should try deleting the bin folder completely and re-running prepare.cmd in the meantime to see if that fixes your issue.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:31 pm

You should try deleting the bin folder completely and re-running prepare.cmd in the meantime to see if that fixes your issue.
Already done that. No joy I'm afraid.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Bernie, you should run a debug build of the program from the compiler so you can tell paradoxnj what part of the code is crashing. This should give a better understand on how to correct the problem.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Ok done that.It crashes at

Code: Select all

RF2::AudioManager::initialize()

m_pALContext=alcCreateContext(m_pALDevice,NULL); //Crashes at this line
   if(!m_pALContext)
   {
       RF_GAME_LOG("Could not create AL context!!");
       return false;
   }
Unhandled exception at 0x03bfab04 in RFOgre_d.exe: 0xC0000005:
Access violation reading location 0x00d95000.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Hmmm...maybe your sound card is not OpenAL friendly or EAX friendly. What sound card do you have?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 pm

What sound card do you have?
Only the best.
Creative labs sound blaster X-fi.
I have that in my xp computer that I am building on I also have sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS in win2k machine. So if that is the case I am screwed for rf2. But Neoaxis works on both machines and I think that uses OpenAL.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:03 am

Bernie

Have you tried the installer version of OpenAL.

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... Items.aspx

Its the oalinst version its a zip file that has the installer exe it installs it to the system.

Terry

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:09 am

Have you tried the installer version of OpenAL.
Yes did that last night

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Ok here's the Rub I updated to latest drivers for my card. I ran from RFogre_d.exe and I got the logo appearing and a huge ninja but the only key that would work was the escape key. I then ran in debug mode in VC8 and I got a message saying can't run main script. BUT my sound card no longer works. I did a driver rollback but still does not work. I now have to reinstall original drivers and programs. I am giving up on this it's causing too much of a problem. I don't think RF2 is ever going to work for me if it uses only OpenAL.
EDIT: Got the sound card working again with original drivers but no OpenAL. I am sure this will affect many others besides me so DirectSound support as well as OpenaL is necessary.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 pm

OpenAL uses DirectSound which is why this is interesting. OpenAL is also developed by Creative which makes it even more interesting. I will try FMOD and see if that works.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Ok well just for the record Neoaxis uses OpenAL and DirectSound and that works with no problems at all. With the background music on his demo I rather wish it didn't :lol:

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 pm

FMOD costs money if used commercially (price ranges from 100-6000$, depending on how 'big' it is). Not sure if that's what RF2 stands for. Non-commercial is totally free, so no problem here.

That taken aside, from what i read on the FMOD page, it seems to be outstanding. Sound obstruction and occlusion, that's just... wow, i can already see (or hear) the athmospheric difference.
They also promote that it can apply some effects, like echo. Though we might have to see how much effect that will have on performance.

I think it's pretty cool and can already see it getting integrated into RF2. The only catch is the license fee if used in a commercial way.

But let's first look if it works.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm

FMOD costs money if used commercially (price ranges from 100-6000$, depending on how 'big' it is). Not sure if that's what RF2 stands for. Non-commercial is totally free, so no problem here.
Name one RF project that someone actually sold for money. :) Most of the community will be using RF2 in a non-commercial realm and as a learning experience. For someone who wants to sell their game, $100 is not a bad price for a game distributed by download. If you box it, then I would be worried.

RF2 itself is free. FMOD would require the license fee. RF2 dev team would not get a penny from that price.
Ok well just for the record Neoaxis uses OpenAL and DirectSound and that works with no problems at all. With the background music on his demo I rather wish it didn't
I could write a DirectSound system for RF2. It would be the most license friendly option there is. If everyone is OK with the release date being pushed back a month (June 30, 2010), I would be more than happy to accommodate. I feel that option is the right thing to do as it gets rid of the DLL dependencies and the code will belong to us instead of inheriting someone else's bad habits/bugs. In addition, Ogre has a lot of DLLs...to add more would just add confusion and supportability issues. The only drawback is that it will make porting RF2 to other OSes a bit difficult. You will have to write your own sound system for the OS you are porting to. I will see about making a generic interface to make this easier.

My goal is to make everyone as happy as they can be and make sure the community's opinion is heard and acted upon.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:05 am

paradoxnj wrote: RF2 itself is free. FMOD would require the license fee. RF2 dev team would not get a penny from that price.
That's true. But using RF2 with FMOD implies aggreeing to the FMOD license - which means that in the end, using RF2 costs you money.
paradoxnj wrote: Name one RF project that someone actually sold for money. :) Most of the community will be using RF2 in a non-commercial realm and as a learning experience. For someone who wants to sell their game, $100 is not a bad price for a game distributed by download. If you box it, then I would be worried.
Ogre has been used for commercial titles before, i don't know, maybe we'll attract someone :lol: Well, ok, those people wouldn't have a problem with paying their 6000$, anyway. It's just a bit strange that the sound engine costs you the money, while normally it's the grahics engine.

I thought one of the goals of RF2 was to have an engine that is improved for us, rather than writing our own stuff. I am not saying that you are not able to do so, but if we write our own soundsystem, we also have to take care of it. It will also, as you mentioned, be more difficult to port over to other operation systems (And i think another goal of RF2 was to make it cross-platform?)

The third option, writing both an DirectSound interface AND an FMOD sound system (so that users who don't want to use FMOD for its license) is something i am against. Because then we have to support both (both in docs and updates). It might be the most flexible solution, but also the one with the most work behind.

If it comes down to either using FMOD or writing the our own interface, i am still unsure which one i should pick, because i don't know what you have planned for that interface. If you could provide us with a list of features, it would be easier.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----