RF2 Update: Player class and crude movement

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
bernie
RF Moderator

Re: RF2 Update: Player class and crude movement

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Just tried eax.dll... still crashes at startup. I think you should add all the dependant dlls to the dev assets folder then anyone can build it.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 pm

It's too big. Besides, stuff that like should not be version controlled. Not everyone should be building binaries either. I'd rather do nightly builds for you to test with this way you get what I compile and I can guarantee that everyone is receiving the same thing. Not that you don't know what you are doing...it just that everything comes from the same source.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:55 pm

Bernie, what does your %OGRE_HOME% variable point to? Open a command prompt and type "echo %OGRE_HOME%" and give me the output.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Bernie

Its the 1.6.3 sdk its using not the 1.6.4 i had the same prob i down loaded the 1.6.3 for vc8 and it runs ok now

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 pm

Ok. I just updated the headers and libs to 1.6.4. It compiles fine and runs fine. Bernie, please update from SVN and recompile by doing a Rebuild All.

I know about the crash on exit. I'm tracking that down now.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 pm

No... still crashing on startup. My OGRE_HOME points to C:\OGRESDK and I am using OGRE 1.6.4 SDK done a clean a rebuild after a new download of svn and ran prepare.cmd still no joy.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Bernie

I had the same problem i had to reinstall the sdk 1.6.4 as we had mucked around with it.

I just tried the headers have been upgraded to 1.6.4 thay where 1.6.3 also it only builds in debug at then moment.

This seems like a load of effect but it will be worth it in the end the thing is the RF2 lib is designed to be up graded so can easily move to 1.7 later its only the lib that had to be altered not the main code so the lib is acting as an interface to the ogre code so we dont have to get involved in directly using ogre but rather via the lib.

why dont you join us in the code side we could use you on this.

Terry

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Complete new installation of ogre 1.6.4 SDK and rebuild of svn. The exe still crashes on startup.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Bernie

Remove the bin folder that the prepare.cmd makes and re run the prepare.cmd so it copys the correct 1.6.4 dlls to the bin folder.

and then rebuild game.exe

you may still have the old 1.6.3 dlls

the trouble with the prepare.cmd is if the dll alters in the OgreSDK the prepare.cmd needs to be re run to copy it to the bin folder where the game.exe lives.

Terry

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 am

Done that still crashes
EDIT: I need to point out that when I build I get 2 successes and 1 failed. The reality editor fails to build with fatal error "OgreCEGUIRenderer.h no such file or directory" and always has done. Its the Game that builds ok and crashes on startup. If the game is relying on the editor then that is where the problem is.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:30 pm

bernie wrote:Done that still crashes
EDIT: I need to point out that when I build I get 2 successes and 1 failed. The reality editor fails to build with fatal error "OgreCEGUIRenderer.h no such file or directory" and always has done. Its the Game that builds ok and crashes on startup. If the game is relying on the editor then that is where the problem is.
Both game and editor rely on libRF2. Bernie, check your materials\scripts directory and see if there is a file called test.rfobject in there. If there is, delete it. The only other thing it can be is DLL versioning. I will zip up my binaries and send them to you.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:35 pm

RealityEditor is not affecting the game.exe its not ready yet but wont have an affect on the game build so ignor it the thing is to get the game.exe to build your end bernie and find out why not.

i had the same problem i am trying to think why it wont build your end the only think i can think of is we have diff headers so i suggest we all download the latest version 1.6.4 i will see if it builds and paradonnj we do again if it builds on mine and paradoxnj again we need to find out whats going on.

But RealityEditor cant affect the game build and ingonr for now till we sort this.

Terry

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:01 am

paradoxnj wrote:It's too big. Besides, stuff that like should not be version controlled. Not everyone should be building binaries either. I'd rather do nightly builds for you to test with this way you get what I compile and I can guarantee that everyone is receiving the same thing. Not that you don't know what you are doing...it just that everything comes from the same source.
A nightly build would be nice. even a weekly one. :)
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 am

Bernie

Does it build on your PC now your end.

Thanks
Terry

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:30 am

Just updated from svn. Builds ok but the exe crashes on startup just the same as before. The game log gets as far as Audio manager initialiszation so I assume its something to do with the audio but i downloaded the openal32.dll from the link paradox gave me and placed it in the bin folder. I also downloaded eax.dll and placed that in the bin folder so I just don't know what is making it crash.