Ogitor

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
bernie
RF Moderator

Ogitor

Post by bernie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:20 pm

There is no Editor for RF2 (or even an RF2 for that matter but WIP) as yet. But wait for it, it's coming and it will be every bit as good if not better than RFEditPro. :wink:

Voltare

Re: 3D engines

Post by Voltare » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:11 pm

I've heard.It's going to be similar to ogitor.I hate ogitor and everything else that even remotely resembles it.

RFEDITPRO was designed right .Nothing else I've ever seen---not even one used to create major studio games---comes anywhere near the neighborhood of ease of use of RFEDITPRO.

If i knew enough about coding, i'd make an rfeditpro-like editor for RF2---i know full well I can make the basic editor layout.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Voltare wrote:I've heard.It's going to be similar to ogitor.I hate ogitor and everything else that even remotely resembles it.
AFAIK Ogitor will be the editor for RF2. At least for starters. Maybe there will be another editor eventually, but right now developing the engine has priority. I'm not 100% sure, though, and would like to see paradoxnj confirm this.
Pain is only psychological.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Ogitor are teaming up with IndieZen and producing their own game engine/editor system complete. Ogitor is an excellent editor but I think RF2 has missed the boat now. The IndieZen/ogitor game engine will be working long before RF2 can be ready and it is promising to be a very good easy to use system. They are using lua as the scripting engine, Physx for the Physics, Ogre for rendering and of course will be games without programming. It will also be Free open source using the mit licence. This has not been finalised yet but it certainly looks like its going ahead.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:52 pm

bernie wrote:Ogitor are teaming up with IndieZen and producing their own game engine/editor system complete. Ogitor is an excellent editor but I think RF2 has missed the boat now. The IndieZen/ogitor game engine will be working long before RF2 can be ready and it is promising to be a very good easy to use system. They are using lua as the scripting engine, Physx for the Physics, Ogre for rendering and of course will be games without programming. It will also be Free open source using the mit licence. This has not been finalised yet but it certainly looks like its going ahead.
OBOY WE GOT COMETITIOOON!
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Voltare wrote:I've heard.It's going to be similar to ogitor.I hate ogitor and everything else that even remotely resembles it.
Dude...you hate a lot of things. Are you a hateful person? Why do you hate Ogitor? Give me a good reason and it better not be only about the tree control. I want a clear and intelligent reason.

I can argue that it's the best editor out there for Ogre at the moment. I looked at everything including using a modelling program and an in-game editor to put everything together. Ogitor is about the easiest editor to use for Ogre that is available.
RFEDITPRO was designed right .Nothing else I've ever seen---not even one used to create major studio games---comes anywhere near the neighborhood of ease of use of RFEDITPRO.
RFEditPro was designed right for the type of engine that Genesis 3D is. Ogre is a completely different engine. Genesis uses a BSP for all of its rendering. Ogre uses a scenegraph.
If i knew enough about coding, i'd make an rfeditpro-like editor for RF2---i know full well I can make the basic editor layout.
Also...you make a bold statement for someone who doesn't know a thing about coding. Thing is because you don't know about coding, you can't make a basic editor layout. I've worked on many commercial games as a programmer and as a musician. What have you done that you think you are better than me? You should finish a project before you attempt to minimize someone else's skills.

You spew unfounded information (eseentially garbage) from your mouth. I have no time or energy for people like you. Please stop these type of posts. If you don't like it...don't use it.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 pm

zany_001 wrote: OBOY WE GOT COMETITIOOON!
I got a surprise for them. :)

Bernie, where did you get this information?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 pm

@Paradoxnj I've been evesdropping on their irc channel and on the rss feed in the forum. It all started about the middle of last week when they started to consider a game shell they were going to call OGF (Ogitor game framework) and then someone from the IndieZen forum joined in and offered a merger. Then a lot of talk and ideas passed back and forward. It looks like going ahead now they got some sticky bits sorted out.
I got very interested in ogitor its a terrific editor and getting better all the time. I'm also keeping up with the new builds by downloading the source and building it myself. I'm not much good at programming but I can manage some basic stuff. I don't think you would have any difficulty incorporating rf2 into ogitor or vice versa it seems a very well built and clean program. There is a scene loader that comes with it and I have got my terrain and stuff into ogre using that. I think the new 0.4 version will be out by the end of the weekend or next weekend its really just waiting for Guru to finish off the the Caelum stuff. By the way did I mention they use the svn version of Ogre 1.7. That is also very impressive paged geometry, bumpmapped terrain and 4 terrain layers so you can paint in textures easily.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:53 pm

I have the latest code for Ogitor and have spoke with Jacmoe about customizing it for RF2. He said that as long as I adhere to the license (LGPL), I could do what I want with it. So basically...the name must stay Ogitor and I have to release the source changes.

Voltare

Re: Ogitor

Post by Voltare » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:04 am

Can't we use that ogre app framework to create our own?Have it how WE want it, have what we want in it....from the ground up?http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45709

Since it seems like i'm going to have to finish up my programming skills to get what I want, I might as well start here.

And, yes i did give ogitor a try.Can't figure out how to make a terrain in the thing.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:14 pm

Have it how WE want it, have what we want in it....from the ground up?
We or YOU?
Since it seems like i'm going to have to finish up my programming skills to get what I want, I might as well start here.
You are just quoting posts in which you don't understand the content. You should be less of an ass by criticizing others and make more productive suggestions as we have no idea what you want. To say "I don't want Ogitor" would be a ridiculous statement as I mentioned that we will be customizing it. This means that we are changing it for our needs. What is it that you require and why?

You have no idea of the amount of work that is required to make an application like that. You are also mentioning that you have sub-par programming skills...Good Luck in your endeavor... :lol:
And, yes i did give ogitor a try.Can't figure out how to make a terrain in the thing.
Did you try the tutorials in the Wiki? :roll:

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Dude...if you don't stop with the personal attacks........but hey...you're a forum mod now, so I guess you can get away with it.

Anyway....i tried it, gave it a good go.I like the way it does terrains,the "splat " tool is interesting with the different brushes for different paint effects.Placement of objects, while still not very precise, is workable.I haven't figured out yet how to make the water thing show up yet, or how to move it.

One major problem.Is there a preview or a view with engine button on this thing somewhere?That's a hallmark of RF....the ability to see your work in action.

More experimentation will follow.....

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:32 pm

Voltare wrote:One major problem.Is there a preview or a view with engine button on this thing somewhere?That's a hallmark of RF....the ability to see your work in action.
What do you need such a button for? It's a WYSIWYG editor.

Or are you expecting it to have a "preview with RF2" button, which would launch the game engine? :)
Pain is only psychological.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:44 pm

One major problem.Is there a preview or a view with engine button on this thing somewhere?That's a hallmark of RF....the ability to see your work in action
Obviously you haven't tried the SampleLoadApp.exe that come with it. That is a scene viewer so you can see a preview. It loads the Sample scene that comes with ogitor. if you make your own scene, just overwrite the sample scene with it and you can preview it. The next release of ogitor (V0.4) is much better than the current version and more precise with splatting etc.
But as Juutis points out "why would you need a preview anyway its a WYSIWYG editor" which just does what it says on the tin. "What you see is what you get".

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Dude...if you don't stop with the personal attacks........but hey...you're a forum mod now, so I guess you can get away with it.
Personal attacks??? Are you nuts??? That's all you have been doing. I'm just telling you how it is. You are being an ass by criticizing other people's work without providing useful feedback so your requirements are clear. To say "It sucks" is a very personal attack on the product and it's owners. To say "I won't use it because...." is a much more diplomatic way to say what you are trying to say and maybe get the owner to help you out. BTW...that last sentence is an attack on the forum admin and all forum mods. :roll:
One major problem.Is there a preview or a view with engine button on this thing somewhere?That's a hallmark of RF....the ability to see your work in action.
We have not customized it for RF yet!! :lol: You are experimenting with something that is nowhere near a final product. :!: It would be a problem if I said this was the final product and it wasn't there. I never stated it was the final product. Dude...you really need to take a step back and read before you accuse and make derogitory comments about stuff.

What you are seeing is the engine. The difference between RFEditPro and Ogitor is that RFEditPro uses a software renderer. It is not using the Genesis engine to render anything. So what you see is not what you get. Ogitor uses the Ogre engine to render therefore what you see is what you get.

The plan is to be able to play your game inside the editor. That is the major feature that we plan to add. You have to have patience. Everything is a work in progress and will be released in May 2010 as planned. Until then...to say anythng "sucks" is not appropriate as nothing is finished. My answer to that will just be "if you don't like it, then don't use it".