RF2 Mascot Modelling Contest (Extended)

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
Juutis

Re: RF2 Mascot Modelling Contest (Extended)

Post by Juutis » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm soon done texturing. Probably won't have time to rig and animate it properly, though.
Pain is only psychological.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:55 pm

I am in Physique vertex assignment and weights.
What i dont know if i ll manage in time is to get that max ogre exporter to work.It exports only one texture per object.
I hope it does nt mean i must have only one object for export because mine is several pieces.
I ll see,and then i ll have to find a way to manually add normal,opacity maps etc in a text?

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:15 pm

OgreMAX generates material scripts for you. There are other exporters for MAX as well.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:58 pm

I have modelled that enemy of mine, but no textures yet and animations :(

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:30 am

It seems i wont catch up with the timeline,or the animations will be crappy.
Those characters that will be finished later (mine too),you could add these too as bad guys and have something to shoot at-he he.
Last edited by Veleran on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 am

I've got two more animations to finish up and I need to try the other Ogre exporter available for Maya because the one I just installed crashes to desktop for me. Hopefully I'll have it all together for tomorrow.
@paradox: My weapon animations are for a revolver. I had intended to do some for an assault rifle as well but didn't have time and don't have an assault rifle model to build them around anyway. If you like, I can include my revolver model. It's not textured yet though.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:17 am

Today I'm whole day texturing my character.. I hope I can get something done for today.I feel really bad I had that idea for mascot modeling and I have been busy with my eleven-day level project. If I can texture it, I guess I still have no time for animating. But I hope I can somehow. Really sorry mates!!! :oops:

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Not a problem. I'll extend it till the end of September.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:22 pm

Oh, thank you very much! I was trying to finish texturing today, with one day. Now it's little easier. Thanks, Anthony! :D

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:41 am

Anytime. I'm trying to get working toward a release. I feel much better and am ready to go back full force. I've been working kinda slow lately cause I haven't been feeling well since the operation. I'm going to set some tasks and milestones and publish them. Instead of doing point releases, I will be doing nightly binary compilations. This means that the latest binaries will always be available. When I reach a major milestone and it is stable, I will call that a point release. This way people can always be up to date. I will also be writing a separate application to check for updates on RF2 which will make life easier. That probably won't be available day 1.

Help for me is on the way!! I'll start moving faster soon.

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:35 am

Glad to hear you're feeling better, man. Can't say more time is unwelcome either- putting an ogre mesh with multiple animations together is trickier than I thought it would be. Now I can get everything figured out and still have time for some spit and polish.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks.

Ogre is actually great for multiple animations. It's like any other new thing...you just gotta get used to it. Once you've done it for a while, you'll see that it's pretty easy to make content for Ogre. Equity helps a lot also by allowing you to use the methods that you used for Genesis 3D and convert to Ogre later on.

For MAX Users:
http://gobotox.ronbravo.com/viewthread. ... =1#pid374=
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/MultiBIPSkeleton
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/DCC+Tutorials

I'm not an artist...so I don't know all the lingo but hopefully those links help.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Till now when i try to export something i get a crash and max closes,other ogre exporters are for older max versions.I may put it as free download somewhere as fbx 2006 and maybe someone might convert it.

Juutis

Juutis' Submission

Post by Juutis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:44 pm

I found no info about how to submit my contest entry, so I'm just gonna post it here.

Say hello to Keera, the legendary space ninja! Armed with a retractable blade mounted on her right arm, she's adept at all kinds of close combat, but also always carries a pistol, just in case.

I didn't quite have the time to finish her animations properly, but I will get to that when I have the time. I also never really succeeded to export her to Ogre .mesh (shame, really, I can't wait to give her the final touch with Ogre materials). I'm having some strange texture problems. If someone has successfully exported a model from MilkShape to Ogre I'd be grateful if I got some help on this one. I think it has something to do with smoothing groups. They somehow twist and distort the UV-maps, or something.

Anyway, those are just excuses for me not working hard enough. I hope I can still participate with my half-done model.

Screenshots from MilkShape:
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6905 ... xtured.png
The RF2 logo on her back + shots of her animations:
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9450/rf2keera.png
An alternative red/black-texture:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8918/keerablack.png

-Juutis
Pain is only psychological.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Just a point J. Milkshape 1.8.4 and 1.8.5 beta1 are buggy. Milkshape v 1.8.3 is the last good version and exports ogre mesh and skeleton ok. You could try loading into Equity directly from the .ms3d file and export as .mesh and .skeleton files.