RF2 Mascot Modelling Contest (Extended)

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: RF2 Mascot Modelling Contest

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:57 pm

I'll extend to August 31st. It's only fair. I was out 2.5 weeks and fell behind.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 pm

paradoxnj wrote:I don't see why not. As long as the circle with the RF2 inside stays the same. The color scheme really doesn't matter.
Cool, thanks man.
paradoxnj wrote:I'll extend to August 31st. It's only fair. I was out 2.5 weeks and fell behind.
That'll help. I was getting worried about finishing the rigging and animations in time. And I haven't even looked into ogre format yet...

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:24 pm

paradoxnj wrote:I'll extend to August 31st. It's only fair. I was out 2.5 weeks and fell behind.
That'll help. I was getting worried about finishing the rigging and animations in time. And I haven't even looked into ogre format yet...[/quote]

How's it possible to extend, if the rules are that the work has to be done at least on 31July ... RF2 needs to be done someday anyway ... :D

Gamemaker

Re: RF2 Mascot Modelling Contest (Extended)

Post by Gamemaker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice that the title has been changed. :roll:

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:09 am

I'm still really busy with my clan and real life, plus I've been sick, but I'll try get something done if I ever get a moment. No promises though :(
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:05 pm

If i make a human player for Rf,and there is enough time left,then i can edit it for RF2 and change him.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Can the mascot have only melee weapon? Because I plan to make a middle-age warrior ... 8)

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 am

I'd rather it not have any weapons but have a bone to attach weapons to. I want to show off the actor features.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Can i make him bald and export along one "wig" and one mustache as separate attachments?
The wig root bone will be at the pivot of the head biped.

I was thinking a plain customizable character with just trousers,sleeveless shirt and short boots
so you can turn it to a marine or a barbarian by later attaching vest,knee pads ,belts,grenades or pouches for bullets.
Some might what to make some custom gear on a belt and attach it (to the pelvis bip).

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:08 am

Sure. Building him/her/it in parts is OK as well. This could simulate losing limbs during battle.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:20 am

The attachment are static mostly,are nt they?I mean the grenades on the belt wont jump up and down during the run animation unless the main skeleton has an animated bone to the belt that is a level higher in the bone hierarchy.

If the head attachment has some face animation (shout animation triggered by when hit for example)
using its own bones you ll use a head attachment script-i guess?

The head switching via script could make quick bad guy variations.
Or you prefer the head to be with the main actor and have the face and jaw bones on the main skeleton?

If the head is separate and has its own bones,must it be placed (move along its root bone) on the floor at origin 0 0 0
before the export?
In rf1 i once made a turret that way.

P.S.For the modelers-When you make the actor and attachment,and position the head to the neck (at x y z coordinates by keyboard entry) and check how it moves along the master skeleton,you have to first do the physique/skin and only after that to link the head attachment's root bone to the neck.

Otherwise the physique adds all bones in the hierarchy,and then you cant delete the bones you dont need (neck and below) to export the head.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 pm

The attachment are static mostly,are nt they?I mean the grenades on the belt wont jump up and down during the run animation unless the main skeleton has an animated bone to the belt that is a level higher in the bone hierarchy.
You can achieve grenades bouncing on a belt by simply animating the grenades and blending the animation with the actor's run animation. You could also try physics.
If the head attachment has some face animation (shout animation triggered by when hit for example)
using its own bones you ll use a head attachment script-i guess?
You don't have to script attachments. In the very first version you will because the editor will not be there. When the editor is developed, that is one of the first features to be implemented (actor attachments).
If the head is separate and has its own bones,must it be placed (move along its root bone) on the floor at origin 0 0 0
before the export?
In rf1 i once made a turret that way.
To be honest...i'm not sure. I'm not an artist, so I haven't tested that. This will be a good test in the first version.
P.S.For the modelers-When you make the actor and attachment,and position the head to the neck (at x y z coordinates by keyboard entry) and check how it moves along the master skeleton,you have to first do the physique/skin and only after that to link the head attachment's root bone to the neck.

Otherwise the physique adds all bones in the hierarchy,and then you cant delete the bones you dont need (neck and below) to export the head.
Good tip. I hope to see more of this with the community. Sharing knowledge will be key in RF2. It will make a beginner into a pro. I hope to see some good scripts as well. Inventories, interactive HUDs, etc...

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:22 pm

In case someone wants to make inventory items that can be attached on the character,there are some grenade pics,-they re modern.
For the moment i dont do modern stuff,what i make is an aliens (movie 1986) marine like character which is something between modern and sci-fi (halo like) military design.

After the mascot is chosen it will be easier to add more gear,pistols etc attachments made by various people (provided you got the character mesh and skeleton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_grenade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M32_G ... oading.jpg

When the time comes,should i export using that plugin?

http://www.maxplugins.de/max2011.php?se ... ort=Author

http://www.ogremax.com/downloads

The free version supports only one texture,so it ll be diffuse for start,so if i use that pluggin you have to add the rest (specullar,normal)later.
Or,i could export to .fbx (2011) and you ll pick all material info for the textures from the fbx.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Artists might want to check out how to assemble an Ogre art pipeline.

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:46 am

Getting pretty close to the deadline now. How's everyone doing? I've got mine rigged and I'll probably have time to start animating tomorrow.