Specifications - polycount

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
Veleran

Specifications - polycount

Post by Veleran » Mon May 24, 2010 11:16 pm

I read at cg talk a topic in game design about polycount,and the example below happened to be from unreal tech,three years ago.
I do not compare rf2 with that,i just we could read rf2 specifications suggestions in the style of that.
Please do nt get mad,that text is for inspiration.

From UDN: ______________________________________________

Typical Content Specifications

Here are the guidelines we're using in building content for our next Unreal Engine 3 based game.

Characters

For every major character and static mesh asset, we build two versions of the geometry: a renderable mesh with unique UV coordinates, and a detail mesh containing only geometry. We run the two meshes through the Unreal Engine 3 preprocessing tool and generate a high-res normal map for the renderable mesh, based on analyzing all of the geometry in the detail mesh.

* Renderable Mesh: We build renderable meshes with 3,000-12,000 triangles, based on the expectation of 5-20 visible characters in a game scene.
* Detail Mesh: We build 1-8 million triangle detail meshes for typical characters. This is quite sufficient for generating 1-2 normal maps of resolution 2048x2048 per character.
* Bones: The highest LOD version of our characters typically have 100-200 bones, and include articulated faces, hands, and fingers.

Normal Maps & Texture maps

We are authoring most character and world normal maps and texture maps at 2048x2048 resolution. We feel this is a good target for games running on mid-range PC's in the 2006 timeframe. Next-generation consoles may require reducing texture resolution by 2X, and low-end PC's up to 4X, depending on texture count and scene complexity. Environments
Typical environments contain 1000-5000 total renderable objects, including static meshes and skeletal meshes. For reasonable performance on current 3D cards, we aim to keep the number of visible objects in any given scene to 300-1000 visible objects. Our larger scenes typically peak at 500,000 to 1,500,000 rendered triangles. Lights

There are no hardcoded limits on light counts, but for performance we try to limit the number of large-radius lights affecting large scenes to 2-5, as each light/object interaction pair is costly due to the engine's high-precision per-pixel lighting and shadowing pipeline. Low-radius lights used for highlights and detail lighting on specific objects are significantly less costly than lights affecting the full scene.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: Specifications - polycount

Post by QuestOfDreams » Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 am

This is more related to the Ogre engine than to RF2. I guess the better place to get answers to these questions would be the Ogre website.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Specifications - polycount

Post by paradoxnj » Thu May 27, 2010 11:55 am

The Unreal Engine is a lot more optimized than Ogre is. I would stay between 3000 and 7000 polys for models for RF2.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....