Ogitor musings.

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
Wraps

Ogitor musings.

Post by Wraps » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 am

I've been messing with Ogitor for the past few weeks.....cause my last compy " blew up", hard drive, vid card and processor....yay. :| So, i had to build a new one.Problem with that is....i completely lost my yahoo e-mail address---cause the recover e-mail no longer exists( an old alta vista one, heh.) so, therefore....i lost all my liscenses, with no way to recover them.Milkshape, Gamecore, Realm Crafter---all gone.( harddrive was fried, so no data recovery :|)

So I turned to Ogitor....and...( yuck) Blender 2.5 .

I've figured out how to get the terrain stuffs working.And how to place objects, move them around, scale them, etc....and how to paint on the terrain.I must say....it's a very nice method of doing things.
Not sure if the skeleton and animations scale when you scale an animated object yet---haven't messed with that yet, but that would be interesting, say you have an army of goblins, you want one to be like a boss of some sort, just scale it bigger...

Haven't figured out quite yet how to get a mesh into it....or how to get my own textures in there, either.

Will RF2 have a terrain system like ogitors? Is it a good idea to learn as much as I can about ogitor, in regards to working with RF2 in the future?Is it .mesh and .ogscene, like in ogitor?
And, will RF2 have caelum and hydrax, or custom stuffs?

What I would also like to see, is a way to take a few polygons , or a vertex or two, out of the terrain mesh, in order to make a hole for a cave or a dungeon.( Because, hike1, i've found a way to create great looking caves in a matter of minutes.....still working on how to texture them....)

EDIT: Will I need to learn how to compile an ogre-based program?Or will one be able to do that from RF2 itself?

zany_001

Re: Ogitor musings.

Post by zany_001 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:52 am

RFedit 2 will be different than ogitor, but it can't hurt to learn level design on ogitor.

I doubt you'll have to compile anything, other than maybe pressing a button before using scripts.

You should be able to edit the terrain mesh directly in RFedit 2, IF paradox is doing it how I think he is. If he's just making a scene editor, though, you may have to use your modeling program to edit the mesh before exporting to RF2.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Ogitor musings.

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:47 am

Zany is correct...RFEdit2 will be like Ogitor with a bit more meat to it. You will be able to build terrain from flat ground though. Ogitor uses the Ogre engine so whatever it can do, I can do as well.

Most of your editing will be done using meshes as Zany suggests. You build your meshes and place them around the scene. For indoor, you can use Quark, QERadiant or some other Quake 3 editor if you want. I highly suggest you use meshes though as it's much more optimal.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....