RF2 Editor Screen Shot

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

RF2 Editor Screen Shot

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:20 am

It's not much, but I want to show that I am still working. Here is a screenshot of the RF2 editor. It still has some default stuff in the tree view but it took a little while to get Ogre to cooperate with MFC. You can also run the full game in the editor which was a bit of a task, but it works well and is great for testing. Next step is camera navigation and object definition and placement.

Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: RF2 Editor Screen Shot

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:29 am

I thought you wanted to use wxWidgets for the editor. :? Is there a special reason you are using MFC now? I spent quite a lot of time to remove MFC from the majority of the RF 1 tools so people can build them using the free VC express editions (which do not include MFC).

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am

Btw, not too long ago I found these screenshots of the visual3d engine tools that may give some inspiration for the RF2 toolset.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:55 pm

wxWidgets requires a lot of coding to get stuff done. It is just easier to use MFC as I will get it done faster. I was at 1000 lines of code just to get the above screenshot using wxWidgets. It's only 54 lines with MFC. MFC is also more visual. I can literally draw the dialogs.

I looked at Qt also...the free version uses a build tool that is just cumbersome with Visual Studio.

I could probably use C# but it would require extra coding to get the RF2 code working inside the editor. It is important to the design of RF2 to allow the game to be played in the editor.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

tgrech

Post by tgrech » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Good to see everythings coming along, it sounds quite good so far, Keep the screens coming fast(As fast as you can make it :wink: ).