Tutorial Request: How to use RF2?

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
Nighthawk_0973

Tutorial Request: How to use RF2?

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:05 pm

I want to know how to use RF2, how to even get in the menu, and things like that but have NO clue. AndyCR had some tutorials up but I have no Idea what he did because he didn't make the quality on his screen recorder good enough for me to see the text (I know its possible, I have CamStudio as well, you know you can set it so that it doesn't get in your video and only the 'flashing' window shows up?) Anyways, I want to know how to get this to work so that I can send feedback, I already got some though:
first of all, the installers RF2 logo is squashed and the installer thinks the program is called "Name" so its called Name Setup and its "configuring Names Install" and it keeps doing stuff like that. I recommend using "Inno Setup" you can configure your install that and If you want something more custom than what the install wizard offers that you should just use the scripts and documentation to modify it after you do the setup, you can set custom icons for the setup as well.

Anyway I really want to get to know this because well, I want to use it (duh) but I was wondering: do I need the original RF to go with this because that would make RF2 more of an add on than a game creation software.
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Tutorial Request: How to use RF2?

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 pm

It doesn't really do much yet. The code dump I will be doing this Monday will do more. I'm hoping to have a player running around on a plane or a terrain.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:26 pm

wait a sec... how much have you acually developed RF2? Are you saying you can only edit menus like in AndyCRs tutorials, I though it was a build on RF now I'm just confused, no game creation at all yet?

Not saying its a bad thing I just though that RF2 was more, take all the time you need :D
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:52 am

No. It is not built upon RF. I completely rewrote it and made some design changes. It's not a full game yet but it does some stuff. Did you download the Alpha? You can make your own interactive GUI's and you can mess with the materials a bit and do some post processing.

For Alpha 2, I am finishing up the component object system and making a control object (Player) and some different cameras. I am not releasing the editor yet. It sucks. I am going to work on that a bit more. For now, you should be able to make stuff by hand using Lua scripting and mess with the component based game objects (GOBs). I have crude physics using ODE and crude collision detection and reaction (that is what I am trying to stabilize).

I'm hoping that the Alpha 3 release will contain a functional editor and some more game specific functionality. Alpha 1 and 2 were really meant to learn Lua scripting and get familiar with how to create game objects (RF1 called these entities), materials, and GUI creation.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....