RFNEXT . The Idea .

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
Wraps

RFNEXT . The Idea .

Post by Wraps » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm calling my version RFNEXT . It will be designed from the interface down, following a very similar interface to RF 1 . I'm going to use an already made engine, and make the interface work with it . There is no need to reinvent the wheel, when the wheel rolls just fine now.

Note : It won't be dx10 or dx11 , and I'm sorry Bernie , but it won't be done quickly. I am so sorry I didn't start this years ago, for your sake. I am dedicating this to you, sir.

The engine. Going to use Irrlicht and Visual C++ .NET. The reasons are ---ease of coding use, tons of tutorials, and many many users who can answer questions.Going to follow RF 1's directory structure .

Going to convert all of the .3dts and .act's into an easy to use easy to create format, may use .obj .( world / level saving will be in irrlicht's world format). I'm looking at formats that can be accessed by freeware modelers. ( MM3d, Anim8or, Fragmotion, Pacemaker) The reason for doing so is this ---RF has always been about ease of use. You can't claim to be the next RF and forget the ease of use part.

I will update weekly , even if its just a line or to to say what's going on. Going to stay on this til it's done, cause I feel that I owe Bernie.

Agentbromsnor

Re: RFNEXT . The Idea .

Post by Agentbromsnor » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 pm

This seems like a very noble project! I'm definately going to keep an eye out for this, and wish you all the luck with getting this project done. :)

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks for the dedication wraps. To be honest most of the irrlicht tutorials are years out of date and more than likely don't work any more with the modern physics systems, ie newton, ode or physx. Ogre is the way forward. However go ahead if you think you can adapt it. It's a very worthwhile project. HGT_Terry is still working on Gamedirector you coould try contacting him and working with him on that. I cant really do much myself at the moment but I should be into sheltered accomodation by xmas and may be able to do something then.

megatop

Post by megatop » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 pm

:( feel better bernie have a good one and this project is a hard one

PhaNtom

Post by PhaNtom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:35 am

Nice weekly updates.

Wraps

Post by Wraps » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:00 am

3 computers crashed since then. Dead cars as well. Meh.