RF 2 Discussion

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:29 am

Just did the silliest thing - basically, told an empty pointer to the menu to change the page, then sat back and wondered/tested for about half an hour why rf2 was crashing with a segfault when i realized i hadn't set the menu pointer :roll: ahh, misadventures in inheritance.

It's going very well, I'm tweaking the menu design and reimplimenting the options page.

psychopath

Post by psychopath » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:01 pm

AndyCR wrote:... bad headaches, which don't lend themselves well to programming...
You aren't programming correctly if it doesn't give you a headache. ;}

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:02 pm

Very true, though I've been lucky so far. RF2's gone pretty smooth thanks to Irrlicht. :D

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:11 pm

There is a dilemma. It dosen't involve work on RF2 - that's going fine. Rather, I have an issue with public relations. I don't update you on 1/6th of what goes on with RF2. I just would rather code. So I have two options: Cutting public relations except for specific questions, or opening up the RF2 CVS repository for the public. I would prefer not to do the latter at such an early date, so I will probably be "submerging" for awhile. You probably won't hear much until the menu is complete.

As a side note, I'm at the point I could use a programmer.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Hay jonas back on page 8 of this post didn't you offer to help, and I know there are more programmers out there. 281 registered users one or two must, just look at the posts in programming.

And Andy
Cutting public relations except for specific questions,
If it helps RF2 do it (but keep updating your blog(on a day to day basices))
opening up the RF2 CVS repository for the public
DON'T. Keep it private till you have the first beta of the full program.
Only let thoses who are helpping you to do the programming have access to it.

I can't wait to change my Signature to :

A good Game is a SPECTRUM game.
A Great Game is a RF2(working title) game. :wink:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:13 pm

I have been working with Jonas on some things. He is currently going to be working on the IniEditor when he can. I meant someone to work on RF2's core with me.

Oh, my RF2 Blog and RF2 Status Page are the two biggest victims of my lack of interest in PR. The status page is way off, and the blog hasnt been updated in over a week. Maybe that will change, but if you don't see new posts, it dosen't mean there isn't progress, since there's progress almost every day, it just means that I have been too busy with RF2 to update it.

I agree. I'll wait; but after RF2 is released, I plan on keeping a HEAD repository where anyone can access the latest version of RF2, bleeding edge though it may be.

I like that :D What's SPECTRUM?

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:25 pm

completed the menu slider code.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:01 pm

like that What's SPECTRUM?

WHAT :twisted:

Try this mate,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum

And this,

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/

and have a great game or two with the emulators.

the best is spectaculator try it and some games,

But don't let RF2 suffer.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:34 pm

nah, think ill stick to rf2 :D

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:38 pm

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 am

credits page complete, except for a little surprise i plan on implimenting, and i added a MenuImage class. brings the total to 39 source files.

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue May 09, 2006 6:57 am

Sorry about not getting the ini editor done. I installed mandriva linux and it doesn't seem to like my computer so intill I get it back to normal, I won't be able to get it done.

I'll try and restore it tonight. I might just run linux off of a livecd.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed May 10, 2006 6:19 pm

I GOT IT!!!! I GOT MANDIVA INSTALLED and working!!! My excuse just went out the door.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue May 30, 2006 9:58 pm

I apolagize for my recent disapearance. I imagine some of you were really worried, though I was worried myself by the lack of posts about my disapearance (and of course speculation about the death of RF2, which is not true). My cat, Sam, died on May 8th, and it really threw me for a loop. He was the best cat anyone ever had.

RF2 is going through research now. I am working out how I will go about putting in a totally new system which will offer almost limitless flexibility with RF2, while if desired retaining backwards compatibility with RF1. Don't worry, it won't change RF2 as much as you think. It will be a little like a Ferrari in RF1's skin; you use it just like RF1, notice it's faster, and if you want to get your hands dirty, you will be more than pleased at whats under the hood.

If it dosen't work out, I will scrap it and finish the RF2 I had planned.

Best Regards and God Bless, and I again apolagize profusely if I scared anybody.

scott

Post by scott » Wed May 31, 2006 2:18 pm

poor cat, its not nice loosing something you love, i have cats and i would be uspet if one died.

the Rf forums dont seem to be busy as they used to be, i dont think its anything to wory about, i just think its a phase and will pcik up soon, keep up the good work as im sure we are all exited about RF2

and what is this extra option your planing to add exactly, what will it speed up?

and i know its a big task but i am just wondering how much you have completed from the entire engine?

and also i dont know weather its the graphics engine or RF coding, but will RF2 have a texture size rule like RF1 does as i am finding this is an anoying inconveniance.
*GD*