Some sound effects

Discussions on how to obtain and make sound effects and music.
jonas

Post by jonas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:36 am

psYco wrote:well I saw it in the special features of the star wars six pack collection! I saw it a while ago so Im not sure mabey it said passing the mic infront of sumink else all I remember was it was one of those long movie like mic's and the person was saying that they would actually watch the action sequences and swing the mic-thingy around trying to simulate what the lightsabres were doing, that made the sound seem right for the movements,
One kind of odd way to get sound effects like that is to try and make the noises with your mouth like say hummmmm then take it in a sound editing program change the pitch add noise and ect. and you can come out with some pretty nice sounds. I once just talked normal and added some effects and I ended up sounding like c3po :lol:

:oops: yeah it can get kind of embarrasing when your going zzzzip hummmm mmmmm mmmm so make sure no one is around so you don't have to explain your making a light saber sound ;-)
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Jonas is right. I work for a game dev company in NYC doing sound FX and music composition and some of our best sounds came from the crew making some noises with various objects and themselves.

Did you know that a Wookie's roar is a combination of walruses and various other sea animals? The lightsaber sound is made by blending sounds from a TV with an old 35mm projector.

You can come up with all kinds of sound doing some crazy things. Here's a bunch of articles to get you started.

GMer

Re: Some sound effects

Post by GMer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:48 pm

thank you paradoxnj, I must read these! :mrgreen:
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56