menu music

Discussions on how to obtain and make sound effects and music.
darksmaster923

menu music

Post by darksmaster923 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:42 pm

well this is a quite subforum!
anyway, i need a good menu music for an modern fps
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:30 am

Can you be more specific? For example:

What do the graphics look like? Musicians can gauge the mood by viewing graphics.
What is the rest of the game's music going to be like? You don't want your menu music to be different from all the other music.
What is the theme of the game? Again, helps the musician gauge mood and style.

Modern FPS game either use hard rock scores or orchestral scores. Which would you require?
How much are you willing to pay (if anything)?

If you say "orchestral score" combined with "I don't have any money to pay", don't expect much of a response from anyone with experience.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:55 am

the graphics are supposed to look out in the field war
Herp derp.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Then I would say a slow orchestra kind of giving the mood. But that will be kind of hard to come by.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:00 am

Yeah...i'm getting an Unreal Tournament 2004 style march feeling from that.

People often make the mistake of thinking that music can just be written. Like all other art forms, music requires inspiration and motivation. There are other things I would need to know about the background bitmap. For example:

1. What do these fields of war look like? Futuristic, WW2, modern day warfare, etc...
2. Are there lots of vehicles in the picture?
3. What do the characters look like?

This brings out the importance of designing your game before you work on it. A design document is the most helpful tool in game development. It's basically your idea on paper. This gives you and your team a reference to look at for question like the ones i've asked above.

Here are a few good design document templates. One is from Chris Taylor, the creator of Dungeon Siege. Have a look at them and see if you can fill the whole thing out.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I am just trying to point you in the right direction. For those of you who don't know me, I was in the industry as a musician for 6 years. My most recent position was with Vivendi Universal Games in 2005. I am now the keeper of Jet3D, Genesis 3D's newer sibling. I still do music and sound fx design professionally, but in a consulting capacity. I am also a programmer too (not too technical one though).

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:47 pm

i found the perfect menu music. no music music!
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:56 pm

You give up too easy. ;) Design your game...it's a good exercise.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:06 pm

or, there's my solution...... take up an instrument, get with a band, and make the music yourself.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox