what kind of music for a game?

Discussions on how to obtain and make sound effects and music.

Music-style?

Loud, fast, metal music
100%
Softer music, more melodic
No votes
Classical chill out music
No votes
Slow violin accordes
No votes

Total votes: 6

Dante

what kind of music for a game?

Post by Dante » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 pm

The post and the poll say everything u must know... ¿What kind of music do you prefer for your games?
(i specially want to know what would be better for an FPS war game)
There never was a good war or a bad peace.
-Benjamin Franklin

Kiji8989

Re: what kind of music for a game?

Post by Kiji8989 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:29 pm

It really depends on what mood you are trying to set. Use epic sounding metal, whatever for more action, battle-ish scenes. And use softer music for...I dunno...sad cutscenes or perhaps a graveyard.
(\_/)
(O.o) copy bunny into your signature to
( >< )help him achieve world domination

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:20 pm

METAL FOREVER :D ! Even my game is called METAL FORCE :D! kiji is right,it depends on the game...I'm making a fast dynamic game with lots of blood and effects (well,RF can't make fast games,but I'm trying to optimize the game so that it can run without problems on slower computers and it will be still fast).
What kind of game are you actually making?

Destron

Post by Destron » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm not voting for any particular option there since it doesn't even cover half of the possible music genres.
I like DrumNBass, Metal, Epic Orchestral, and also a bit of chillout electronica.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm with Mr D on this one.

Which War. there has been 100's of them. Each war has a diffrent time in history, each time in history has a diffrent musical feel.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:18 pm

metal_head wrote:METAL FOREVER :D ! Even my game is called METAL FORCE
More metal fans around here, eh? I'm a huge fan of metal too. :)
I'm making a fast dynamic game with lots of blood and effects (well,RF can't make fast games,but I'm trying to optimize the game so that it can run without problems on slower computers and it will be still fast).
What do you mean by a 'fast game'. Like fast-paced or one that runs well? 'Cause making a fast-paced game isn't really a problem with RF.

And yeah, I agree with you guys. The music for a game depends totally on the game and the atmosphere you want to set. Some fast metal or techno stuff for the action parts and something calmer for the sneaky parts. Or for a game based on the WW1 or WW2 I think some epic orchestral music would fit. On the other hand, you shouldn't forget the possibility of no music at all. It can be quite creepy actually. Just silence. You're only hearing your own footsteps and then WHAM - an enemy jumps around the corner with his machine gun blazing freaking the crap out of you.
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:49 pm

oh,well I ment that I aim to make the game as simple as I can so more PC can run the game at full speed,mine has 3.01 GHz processor (which is not much for a nowadays PC ) and the game runs good,but mu laptop haz 1.08 GHz and sometimes the game's framerate gets lower :)
I talk a lot about Unreal Tournament :D but it's my favorite game (after Half Life 2,the game has places which are exactly the same as places in the city I'm living in,that's because valve has bulgarians in they team (or at least I heard this)).So I want to make my game look more Unreal Tournament 2004,with lot's of effects and stuff.UT had a pretty good music,but it wasn't very fast and wild for an action game like the game itself and I think that's the biggest mistake in the game,the music shoud be more like this: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... n_creation (soil - breaking me down ,aah a fovourite band of mine :) )

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:58 pm

Oh yeah! SOiL, gotta love that band.
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:04 am

I'll make a list in "General Discussions " of cool bands and everyone will add their favourite bands :)