GameDev.NET 4E6 Contest

Project for GameDev.net's Four Elements VI Contest
September 27th, 2007 to April 3rd, 2008
jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:05 pm

I wouldn't be able to do much with school and such, but i'm willing to contribute to this in any way I can.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

scott

Post by scott » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:12 pm

i thought of a story involving 3 of the elements needed, its very simple, very easy and very fun!

first of its a 2D shooter, you have ponies dancing around on the screen, you have a gun to kill them, and you have special crystls that you get when you score so much to upgrade your gun, with half way through upgrading the shots turn explosive, this would be like a flash/java game but sure would b funny, i dont expect people to use this idea, its been done millions of times with other things than ponies, just thought of the easiest way to enter the compo, lol, while making it funny! :D
*GD*

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:19 pm

I've always hated my little ponies. :D

Lets kill the ponies. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Make it a 3D fairytale world with fluffy clouds, rainbows and castles.

Fill it with my little ponies and care bears.

and a lot of BIG GUNS
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:42 pm

I can offer some 2d art help, and maybe some minor 3d, i'm not sure if my skills are good enough in the 3d area yet.

A game in which you have to heard ponies that are carieing crystals over explosive mines, to your house. At the end you have a Points screen:" which shows a accountant on the side looking at the diamonds, and telling you how many points you made. (just shooting ideas out)

Or, something from the romanticism period with sexy art, and ponies which have crystals on their foreheads, and the objective would be to throw some sort of napalm projectile, in some sort of mini game and maximize your killing with one throw. So you get combo's, it doesn't have to be standard mini game, it can actually be 3d but still have a mini game feel.

if my ideas are horrible oh well, I'm trying to spark up some imagination haha.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:10 am

Andy and I are formulating a game idea. We will start a separate post about it.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:08 pm

I'm afraid I won't have the time to work on such a project (although I'd like to). I'm still working on Broken Sword 2.5 and the Genesis3d/RF update - that's more than enough. However, I can offer you an additional subforum for the project's discussion if you want to.

scott

Post by scott » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:18 pm

well what ever your choice, i think you should add a clock and a count down, theres 187 days to go til submission date, it would be a good idea to keep this in everones mind, when they see it counting down it might encourege them to work a little faster, and could also plan deadlines on this, like by 147 days sotry is planed and writen out ready for start work on, thats just an example, this will kep the project focused and on target.
*GD*

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:25 pm

I could probably model something for ya guys. I'm joining the army in January (it's compulsory here in Finland), but until then I have nothing but freetime. I'd love to be one of these 'core modelers' but I'm afraid I won't be able to do much after joining the army.
Pain is only psychological.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:25 pm

i could model stuff. mostly unorganic stuff
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:29 pm

I'm afraid I won't have the time to work on such a project (although I'd like to). I'm still working on Broken Sword 2.5 and the Genesis3d/RF update - that's more than enough. However, I can offer you an additional subforum for the project's discussion if you want to.
Ah well...I thought i'd extend the offer. A subforum would be very cool. So far it's just AndyCR and myself. We decided to use RF2 which will accelerate the development of it a bit for the community while getting the project done.

When the new subforum is created, we will list some 2D and 3D art assets that are needed for the artists and some tasks for the programmers to complete also. We will figure out source control once we get things going.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 am

im in for modelling, i reckon we could go demonic ponies with winghs that are ghostlike, and theres a castle with a boos accountant called (dundundunudunuuuuuuuuuun)THE ACCOUNTANT :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .there could be an evil plot to blow up the good castle with a big booooom! and to stop it you need certain crystals/chwemicals to stop a bomb/the ACCOUNTANT(dundundunudunuuuuuuuuuun).
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

scott

Post by scott » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:51 am

not to say what your doing is wrong but in my opinion I cant see this getting done, I'm sure everyone is up for giving it ago but I don’t think your going the best way about this, I have a few reasons why I believe this and possibly some solutions to help you, but after all this is your project so do as you please.

you have mentioned that when this forum has been created that you would post some models you will need, right from the go this seems to of doomed the project for the contest, I for one will definitely not make anything without any sort of story line, this is because my work could be used in ways I don’t want it to, one thought comes to mind is you ask a modeller to model a pony, you then use that pony in some disgusting animal sex game, I know very extreme and unlikely to happen but my point is still valid, also with no story you are going to have a really bad game, the story is what defines the mood, you could ask someone to make a pony, they model a cuddly pink Childs toy, that meant to be in a hell forsaken flaming pit with gore in, and so when you get the assets together you will have a game that will look really bad and also like you just downloaded content from the net and shoved it into the game, raising questions over copy write.

185 days to go, 2 days sine the last dates posted, you may or may not of already done work towards the project (other than the current version of RF2 as it was already at this stage before the idea of the project was given to the forum) 185 days is not allot, why it may seem to be those days will go by so quickly, for this reason the organisation of the project has to be excellent, you need to come up with at least a base story, that’s a story a player can play through (ff7 ling 10 week story or quake 4 run, kill, run) missions the player will have to do, features that you want to implement. once all this has been done I would then suggest about asking people for help on modelling, programming, texturing and scripting where you can plan and organise the member assets you have, if you say we need a farm building, we need a field, we need flaming laver flow pits, we need explosion animations when and where you feel necessary the project will move at a snails pace and will not get done on time.

This is only my opinion and you can agree or disagree, I am just talking from experience and after watching professional teams how they organise a game, for example, the latest one, halo 3 collectors edition game, how they made their game. the experience I mentioned, my own project seems to be going exactly the way this is going, not much planning and getting what I need when I need, its over a year now and its moved way to slowly, and I mean way, way too slowly (well to what I would like anyway) however, for me this is not a big of a problem as it is for you, I don’t have a deadline, it can be finished in 2020 if need be (though I hope not) so I would say for a chance for this to work you need to organise the project.

you have two members on the team, paradoxnj and andycr, you are using RF2 and Andy was the one making this so he knows this best and would be the person to be able to finish this the quickest, for this reason I would suggest that Andy should continue working on RF2 to the best of his ability, this will be one major aspect of the game is the engine and editor. while paradoxnj you had the idea of the community project and at the time didn’t have any engine to work with as you accepted to use RF2 after the idea for the project while knowing RF2 isn’t any where near finished, this suggests to me that you had an idea for the project possibly, with trying to get a community project going, if this is the case I would suggest you to concentrate on the story as much as possible and organise as best as possible.

above would be the way I would of planed it, keeping each person assigned to a certain task only being 2 of you.
If you organise the project well then I do believe it has a chance to succeed but with no organisation it is certain to be doomed to failer.
*GD*

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Ye have little faith my brother. :) You forget...I am part of a professional team. You don't think that I've formulated a plan? Keep the faith...you'll see....

GD1

Post by GD1 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:03 pm

omg, we tried this with Clockwork back when it was 4e4. The deadline came and we weren't ANYWHERE near ready. mainly because of poor planning on my part.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

scott

Post by scott » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 am

well ok, one last question for a while possibly, when are you going to release this information on the forums?
*GD*