Game Design Thread

Project for GameDev.net's Four Elements VI Contest
September 27th, 2007 to April 3rd, 2008
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Game Design Thread

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:18 am

Here is what I have so far. I encourage plenty of input. If you are going to be negative and say it can't be done...don't bother posting. I will delete your post.
Vitals
Working Title: Untitled
Genre: RPG
Players: Single Player
Technology: Modified RF1 Game Shell
Camera View: Third person with 45 degree tilt on X axis (looking down at the back of the character's head)

Elements

Ponies: Our heroes both male or female will ride ponies. There will also be enemies that resemble ponies.
Crystals: Our heroes will find crystals all over the map. Each Crystal will have a special power that can level up with each use.
Explosions: Crystal powers will cause explosions of all kinds.
Accountants: N/A but may work its way in through the story later.

Characters

Male Hero: A little boy who can wield a sword very well. Arrogant attitude, hunts for money. Limited use of magic.
Female Hero: A little girl who is able to use the elements (fire, water, earth, ice, lightning). Main weapon is a staff. Keeps the male hero's attitude under control.

Male and Female are brother and sister. Parents were lost in a monster attack on the town. Main boss character is responsible for the attack.

Male and Female characters have combo attacks that work when they are together.
You can switch between characters at any time during the game if they are together.

Battle System
Real time with hit/miss calculations based on character stats.
Magic System based on charge time. The more experienced you are with a spell, the quicker you can cast it.

NPC Characters
Main Boss: First appears as human. At the end of the game will take a monster form of some sort.

Enemies: Monster Ponies, Trolls, Goblins, mechanical enemies, Skeletons, Ogres, flying creatures
Bosses: Minions of the Main Boss (sub gangs)

Story (incomplete)
Game starts with a cut scene of the 2 characters on a hunt. They are having a discussion about what happened to their parents. After all the years, they are still unsure who was responsible. Their guardians, an old man and old woman in the village, feel it is the right time to explain what happened. Control is handed to the player to complete the hunt. Upon completion of the hunt, the characters return to the village. When they return, their guardians call them in. The old man sits down and explains what happened to their parents. After the story is finished, the boy is very angry and runs out. The girl runs after him. In his fit of anger, he decides that he will go after the main boss.

Before they leave the old man sits them down and tells them the story of some powerful crystals which can be found in caves throughout their journey. He says "BEWARE!! To obtain these crystals is not easy. You must solve a puzzle to fight the guardian of the crystal. Only by defeating this guardian, will you obtain the crystal."

Maps
World Map - Terrain based world map. Cave entrances scattered around all points of the map.
RealityVille - Heroes hometown. A very diverse population. Known for training adventurers. (Needs a better name)
Characters
Bernie - Our hero's guardian. Plays a mean fiddle and offers advice on how to defeat enemies. Very wise. Doesn't like to be bothered when playing his fiddle. Taught the female hero everything she knows about magic.

Juutis - No background yet
Ardent - No background yet

EDIT History:
10-16-2007 - Added map section and updated story a bit.
10-25-2007 - Added characters section, updated battle system with magic system. Added RealityVille map. Added Bernie, Juutis and Ardent characters.
12-14-2007 - Changed Game Shell to RF1
Last edited by paradoxnj on Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Destron

Post by Destron » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:06 pm

First of all, I don't mean to be negative. Pretty much all that is possible.

Are "we" (don't know who's in the project yet) aiming for a sort of not-as-serious game here? I think it'd be kinda lame if we did a boy and a girl instead of a man of a woman. but that's just my opinion.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:14 pm

I still want to kill some "MY LITTLE PONIES" using the SMURFS to do it.

DOWN WITH THE PONIES!!!!!!!
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:08 pm

Read the enemies list Ardentcrest...first one is monster ponies. :)

To answer your question Destron, it's whatever we make it. A man and a woman are established in life. They pretty much know what their direction is. A boy and a girl have no idea what they are actually capable of. Because there are young people as your main characters does not mean it's not a serious game. There are some young people that are more mature than you and I.

Some people might wonder about the time mage thing...well...imagine this...the male character dies in battle...wouldn't it be cool if you can waste some magic points to rewind time and bring him back. One of my favorite features of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Also...make your character move faster, your enemies slower, stop them altogether, etc...

Basically you play as both characters, but only control one at a time.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:33 am

will ride ponies? ardent didnt see dat
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:25 am

Dude...read the whole thing.
Enemies: Monster Ponies, Trolls, Goblins, mechanical enemies, Skeletons, Ogres, flying creatures

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:11 am

yes.......... but u also RIDE da poniez
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:48 pm

Updated character design and some story.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:36 am

Updated story and added Maps section.

scott

Post by scott » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:07 pm

any more updates, been a week now since the last post....
*GD*

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 pm

Soon...working on story and character design a bit more. Been busy programming the game shell also.

scott

Post by scott » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:42 pm

i havnt got any ideas personaly but are u taking in ideas yet or gona do the first bit urself and then possibly get ideas
*GD*

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:19 pm

I am open to anyone's ideas, I encourage them. This is supposed to have a little part of everyone in it. I was actually thinking about naming characters after the people in the forum.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:30 pm

Cool. Use mine :lol:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:16 pm

and me also. Perhaps I could be a wise old wizzard or an evil Ogre or a grumpy old grapa just like in real life :lol: .