Game Design Thread

Project for GameDev.net's Four Elements VI Contest
September 27th, 2007 to April 3rd, 2008
Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:37 pm

I was actually thinking about naming characters after the people in the forum.
Excellent idea! I like it. :)

You can use my name as well. I could be a skinny little boy who gets excited about anything way too easily. Or I could be a pony!
Pain is only psychological.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey...if you guys can model yourselves in 3D that would be a huge help. :) Export to Ogre mesh format. We will discuss animations when we are ready for them.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:23 am

paradoxnj wrote:Hey...if you guys can model yourselves in 3D that would be a huge help. :) Export to Ogre mesh format. We will discuss animations when we are ready for them.
ill try that once i have free time
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:52 am

bernie wrote:and me also. Perhaps I could be a wise old wizzard or an evil Ogre or a grumpy old grapa just like in real life :lol: .
You play the fiddle...right? Maybe we can sit you on a stool and you can be the town musician. If you record yourself playing the fiddle, I can slice it up to make it loop, clean it up a bit and use it in the game. I'm a pro with Reaktor. :)

How's this idea...Your character can play the fiddle, charge some money for advice, maybe give the heroes a quest for a golden fiddle or something in which the reward is free advice for the rest of the game. Your advice can be used to defeat bosses and other enemies.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Bernie, I made you the hero's guardian. When their parents died, you took them in and raised them as your own. You are a wise ol' fella who enjoys playing a mean fiddle. You taught the female hero everything she knows about magic. You have lots of advice to give about the enemies and some of the lower level bosses.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Sounds good to me. The fiddle is no problem but the modeling is. I'm not too good at modeling and in particular texturing. :roll:
I'll record a few reels and jigs and we'll go from there.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:37 pm

I'm sure someone will step up for the modelling.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:33 pm

I've recorded some tracks this afternoon. A slow air, a jig, 3 reels, a reels set (3 tunes straight off) fiddle only and a set (same 3 reels) mixed - fiddle, mandolin and guitar (me playing all 3 instruments). in mp3 format. 15mb zipped. I will have to send them by snail mail to Derek (ardencrest) in Dublin to post for me because I can't upload that sort of size due to dialup limitations (28k) upload speed. I was about to send him some stuff in the next couple of days anyway and there's no rush at this moment is there?

Cheers,
Bernie.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:03 pm

no problem helping.

cant wait to hear the new stuff.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:37 pm

paradoxnj,

with my name I should be the main hero.

ArdentCrest. on a hero's "ARDENT QUEST"

:twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:05 am

i should be the female hero.
Herp derp.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:58 pm

bernie wrote:I've recorded some tracks this afternoon. A slow air, a jig, 3 reels, a reels set (3 tunes straight off) fiddle only and a set (same 3 reels) mixed - fiddle, mandolin and guitar (me playing all 3 instruments). in mp3 format. 15mb zipped. I will have to send them by snail mail to Derek (ardencrest) in Dublin to post for me because I can't upload that sort of size due to dialup limitations (28k) upload speed. I was about to send him some stuff in the next couple of days anyway and there's no rush at this moment is there?

Cheers,
Bernie.
download music from here http://rfc2.freeweb7.com/download.php?list.9

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:10 pm

Thanks Derek :D

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:49 pm

Thanks to the both of you (ArdentCrest and bernie). This is a great contribution. I have downloaded the music and will have it in for the first alpha.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Sorry for the late comment, but I've noticed this thread only now. I got one idea. Those main characters got guardians, right? And they are good guys. And there are these bad guys also called guardians that protect crystals and main characters are supposed to kill them. Don't you think that calling guardians both good and bad guys aren't such a good idea? I'd suggest calling guardians of crystals, protectors or something. Oh, and you could make a good character just like me. It would be a great background: "A red headed boy that randomly appears and annoys main characters of the game". And yes, my hair is red(I'd say it's more orange, but it's same color that main character of Brothers of Arms: Earned in blood has and he was called red).