Model List

Project for GameDev.net's Four Elements VI Contest
September 27th, 2007 to April 3rd, 2008
scott

Post by scott » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:04 pm

i did do my reseach, dungeons and dragons :P, players hand book has lots of rpg weapons.
*GD*

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:14 am

There is a boy and girl Genesis3d ACT file on this page that might work.

http://www.entidad-3d.com/personajes/inicio.html

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:57 pm

scott wrote:i did do my reseach, dungeons and dragons :P, players hand book has lots of rpg weapons.
That'll work. ;) I'm hoping that QoD will finish up the DX9 driver by end of Februrary so I can use that.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Excuse my previous post, I didn't realize you weren't using RF. But if you need models I can help. I own all the model CDs from THIS site and will be willing to join your team and convert them to whatever format is needed for the game.

Here are some pictures of some of the models you may want:

A full list can be found here:
http://www.3-d-models.com/3d-model_site.htm

Just PM me and tell me what models you need and I will convert them.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:10 pm

It's cool that you want to help, but I don't know if it is a good idea to come to a game contest with content that can be bought from a site - or freely downloaded. Also, those bought/downloaded thinghs don't mix very well with your own models. You are adapting the style of some other person/company and then if you model the thinghs with your own style, it looks more ugly than if you just made all the models yourself... Also those models seem pretty highpoly - and they look like plastic. Plastic does not mix with medieval theme games. Simply said, i don't like the style of the author, the models look like playmobile... But nothing against you, Allanon...

I like scott's weapons much more, maybe i am too used to low-poly-art. Oh, and ericsin, those weapon shapes are great, too.

Just wanted to say that. My opinion.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:39 pm

It's cool that you want to help, but I don't know if it is a good idea to come to a game contest with content that can be bought from a site - or freely downloaded.
I understand what you are saying but they are already using a rendering engine that is "freely downloaded" and made by others.
Also, those bought/downloaded thinghs don't mix very well with your own models. You are adapting the style of some other person/company and then if you model the thinghs with your own style, it looks more ugly than if you just made all the models yourself... Also those models seem pretty highpoly - and they look like plastic. Plastic does not mix with medieval theme games. Simply said, i don't like the style of the author, the models look like playmobile...
They look like plastic because that is how they were rendered. Adding new textures and/or shaders can solve that problem. I can also reduce the number of polys if needed. I also understand the human models might not be what they need style wise but weapons are universal. Yes you can exaggerate the look of the weapons to make them look more anime or cartoony looking but if they want weapons with a realistic shape then I can provide them.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Yeah the main thing that is annyoing me is the ultra-high poly count compared to the amount of detail given (capes are normally almost flat, but thecape of the viking has how many polys? 5000? ). I agree, you can make them look better with better textures, but why does somebody buy a model just to rework it? But i have to agree the weapons are realistic-looking.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:29 pm

I agree, you can make them look better with better textures, but why does somebody buy a model just to rework it?
The reason I bought them is because I don't have the patience or skill to make good looking models. I know how to use the modeling programs but I just can't sit at my desk for hours working on a model. But I do have the patience to add bones and animate or add new textures to the models so they look they way I need them to look. Having a modeler make all the models for my game would have cost way too much, I found these model CDs to be a good compromise between good looking models, easy of use, and cost.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:47 am

but we're the ones slavin at our computers
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:20 pm

Alright...alright...play nice... :) Allanon is just trying to help out anyway he can. He is not an advanced modeller so he takes models and modifies them which is perfectly valid if you own them. In this case, he does.

Allanon, are you offering art help or programming help?
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:10 pm

I was offering art help but if you need programming I will be willing to help with that also.

ericssin

Post by ericssin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Made another bunch of swords if you don't like something just tell :D

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:03 am

that second sword form the bottom is cool, but also next to unusable in real life.im not saying we shouldnt use it but it wouldnt exactly add to the realism of the game.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:35 pm

zany_001 wrote:that second sword form the bottom is cool, but also next to unusable in real life.im not saying we shouldnt use it but it wouldnt exactly add to the realism of the game.
yes it will. ever heard of STEAK?
Herp derp.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:43 am

thats alright so long as its 8 inches long, not 1.2 meters.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.