Four Elements 7?

Project for GameDev.net's Four Elements VI Contest
September 27th, 2007 to April 3rd, 2008
jonas

Four Elements 7?

Post by jonas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:40 pm

I looked over at the gamedev.net website but didn't seem to find anything about maybe a next challenge? Anyone know anything? I'd love to see a community project like this. I think it would help drive us to develop the rf/rf2 technology as well as help us all learn. Just look at blender, they are working on there 3rd or 4th movie and it is steadily making blender a better tool.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Four Elements 7?

Post by bernie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:16 pm

It will take a miracle to make blender useful tool never mind a better one. That interface needs a complete overhaul and a rewrite to make it usable.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

I haven't seen an announcement yet for 4E7. They usually start it in January and June. I'll message Superpig to see when it will happen.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:12 pm

bernie wrote:It will take a miracle to make blender useful tool never mind a better one. That interface needs a complete overhaul and a rewrite to make it usable.
Actually 2.5 I think it is getting an overhaul. Suppose to allow a lot more customization. Its got a steep learning curve but its an excellent tool once you get over that.
paradoxnj wrote:I haven't seen an announcement yet for 4E7. They usually start it in January and June. I'll message Superpig to see when it will happen.
If they do start one in January and we're ready to get started on it then. We might actually be able to make it. Its not like they're giving away expensive prizes or anything, so it'd be a shame if they weren't doing it.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 am

bernie wrote:It will take a miracle to make blender useful tool never mind a better one. That interface needs a complete overhaul and a rewrite to make it usable.
Wow. Just because blender has a different interface than most other modeling programs, doesn't mean it sucks. I don't know any other free tool comparable to maya that thousands use, do you?

It just so happens that the interface works fine, you just have to realize it's DIFFERENT. Blender enables you to make models far faster than max or maya or ms3d, you just have to put the effort in and get past the learning curve. Max has just as bad a learning curve if you try go from blender to max.
You don't have to use it, but don't diss it.

/Rant
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:40 am

You sure you want to do Four Elements? There is about 5 people on this forum that can actually participate.
Herp derp.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:38 pm

zany_001 wrote:
Wow. Just because blender has a different interface than most other modeling programs, doesn't mean it sucks. I don't know any other free tool comparable to maya that thousands use, do you?
Well thousands might use any given tool. But I can't think of any near as powerful as blender that doesn't have a hefty price tag over it. Ms3d just straight up sucks. Major lack of features, and last time I checked still made you draw each vector. Harder to get used to then blender or max. If it didn't support so many formats. I don't think most would even try to use it.
darksmaster923 wrote:You sure you want to do Four Elements? There is about 5 people on this forum that can actually participate.
Maybe not very many people, but we do need something to make people more active. Bring back what we all came here for in the first place, making games.
Jonas

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:03 am

I'm working on a game mod at the moment, and after that/Christmas, I'm working on Sbunnies with DM, but we'll see.

(I've been looking at my posts here, and you guys were pretty lenient. I would have torn a strip out of my old self if I were you. My grammar and spelling were terrible.)
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

jonas

Post by jonas » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:39 am

I know the feeling. I went back and read a journal I used to keep. I had to laugh hysterically. It was pretty sad. :lol:
Jonas

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 pm

It doesn't look like 4E7 going to happen this year. However, there is nothing stopping us from having our own contest. Maybe Gekido from GameCore could put up a GameCore license for the winner? (I hope he's reading....) ;-)

The rules are simple.

Entries that do not include at least three of the four elements will be disqualified. An element must have a significant presence in the game to be considered as included.
All files required to use and execute the entry must be submitted to qualify, with the exception of the software already installed on the machine as listed in the minimum specification. You need to provide all materials required to play your game, as if you were packaging and selling it to gamers.
Source code submission is not required, but it is encouraged for educational purposes. However, entrants should be prepared to submit whole or partial source files if the judges require it (e.g. in the case of accusations of IP infringement).
Submissions for the Windows platform must be made as a single file in RAR or ZIP formats, or as an EXE or MSI installer. Submissions for Mac must be provided as DMG files, and submissions for Ubuntu must be provided as Debian format packages. Any installers used must be licensed for distribution, as per rule 16.
The entry must include some form of manual (or at least a readme). You may use any common document format (TXT, PDF, HTML, DOC, CHM), but PDF is recommended.
The entry must support the taking of screenshots. Unless an entry provides an alternative mechanism, it is assumed that pressing the print-screen key will take a screenshot of the game and save it to the clipboard. If an alternative mechanism is provided, it must be clearly documented in the manual. Any entry that does not support screenshots will be disqualified.
Entrants are both allowed and encouraged to use 3rd party libraries, engines, and middleware to develop their entry, provided that whatever they use permits unrestricted distribution of the resulting entry executable per the Legal requirements of this contest.
An entrant may only submit one entry. An entry may contain multiple sub-games, but the collection will be judged as a single entry; a good game and a bad game make for an average collection.
Entrants may be individuals or teams, with no limit on team size. Prizes will be awarded on a per-entry basis, and GameDev.net is not responsible for determining how a team distributes prizes within the team.
There is no size limit on entries, but please be reasonable. If you're concerned about the size of your entry, then please contact us to discuss how to handle it. It is the entrant's responsibility to ensure that their entire entry is uploaded by the time submission closes.
Any entry containing content that would qualify it for an 'AO' rating from the ESRB will be disqualified. In other words, if it's the sort of game that one would find in an "adult bookstore," it is not acceptable.
The contest is open to entrants who are 13 years of age or older and located anywhere on Earth. Void where prohibited by law. GameDev.net staff members are eligible to participate, with the exception of Richard "superpig" Fine, the contest manager. The contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and provincial laws and regulations.
By entering the contest, entrants agree to provide proof of identification for any prizes awarded as required by law.
The judges reserve the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed to be contrary to the spirit of the contest.
Any entry that infringes the intellectual property of any third party will be immediately disqualified. This includes but is not limited to the use of 'ripped' sprites or graphics from other games, the use of sound effects and music from other games, and the use of registered trademarks. Use is permitted if the entrant has permission from the owner of the IP, but you should be prepared to prove that you have permission.
Any entry that uses third party technology without a valid license to do so will be immediately disqualified. If in any doubt as to whether your license permits distribution of your entry as per our terms and conditions, check with your licensor.
Entrants must give permission for GameDev.net to pass entrant contact information to sponsors for the purposes of delivering prizes.
Multiplayer games are permitted; multiplayer-only games are also permitted. If a game operates using a central server, the server software must be submitted to the judges so that they can ensure that it is not changed for the duration of the judging period. The server software must thus either run on the platforms given by the minimum specification, or be submitted in the form of a VMWare Virtual Machine. If you do not wish your server software to be released as a part of your entry, contact the contest manager to arrange separate submission.
GameDev.net reserves the right to modify contest rules or cancel the contest at any time without prior notification. It is the entrant's responsibility to check the rules for changes up to one week before submission closes.
The contest manager's decisions are final.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....