[FIXED 075A] actor spray rotation

Post any Bug Reports here
Juutis

[FIXED 075A] actor spray rotation

Post by Juutis » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:43 pm

After having some trial-and-error- testing with predefined actor spray effects I found out that baserotation needs to be in radians there. The manual says it's degrees.
Pain is only psychological.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:26 am

I looked at the online help and didn't find this. What is the actor spray rotation used for?

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:44 am

In the "Predefined effects" section:
Actor Spray

This is defined by type = actorspray. It is similar to the spray effect except that it uses actors rather than textured polys as its particles. The section definition would look like this:

basename - base name of sequence of actors to use as particles

numberactors - number of actors in sequence

style - style of using actors

alpha - initial alpha value of actors

alpharate - amount per second to decrease actor alpha

baserotation - initial rotation of actors

... and later:
The sequence of actors used is similar to the bitmaps in the FlipBook. If you have 3 actors in the sequence then they must be named name0.act, name1.act and name2.act. The basename used would be name. The style can be 0, 1 or 2. A style of 0 uses the actors in increasing order (starting at 0 and going up) and wraps around to 0 at the end. A style of 1 starts in increasing order and switches to decreasing at the end, then increasing again at the beginning. A style of 2 uses them in random order. The baserotation is the initial rotation assigned to all the actors when they are created in the spray. It is in degrees. If minrotationspeed and maxrotationspeed are not zero in all axis then a speed will be randomly chosen for each axis in this range. The actor will rotate at that speed during its life. The speed is in degrees per second. An example of an actorspray effect is as follows. It has 8 actors named con0.act to con7.act. Note that if the actor spray is attached to an actor via a Predefined Explosion, angles is the number of degrees in each direction from the direction the actor is facing.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:47 am

Okey-Doke. For exploding geometry. Thank you.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:52 am

Now I see it. It's in the ActorSpout entity. I'll get there, guys. it's gonna take a little time.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:53 am

Just to make this clear... I was talking about predefined effects, which are defined in install/effect.ini file and can be used in predefined explosions, attached to projectiles etc.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:54 am

Okay. I have never used those. I will find a way to fit them into my Dungeon demo.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:53 pm

BaseRotation was indeed treated as radians, both in the actorsprays defined in the effect.ini and in the ActorSpout entities. Changed it so the code converts from degrees to radians now.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:57 pm

steven8 wrote:Okay. I have never used those. I will find a way to fit them into my Dungeon demo.
I really recomend that you do. this is where the real graphical golden eggs of RF lie. In the past i've used them to achieve really nice smoke effects, 3d muzzle flashes, and even a convincingly realistic wake for a boat.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:26 am

Could I use this to make it where if you shot a ceiling, chunks would fall down? I would use a model that set off a trigger and triggered the actorspout. Would that work?

I would like to use this for the character as like an escape route. You know, a ladder through a hole is blocked by stuff, you have to shoot it to clear the way.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:19 am

Could I use this to make it where if you shot a ceiling, chunks would fall down?
Yes, exactly!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:48 am

And I know exactly where I am going to use it!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!