[NOT A BUG] Custom weapons need virgil biped

Post any Bug Reports here
Veleran

[NOT A BUG] Custom weapons need virgil biped

Post by Veleran » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:05 pm

Custom weapon actors dont appear on a custom player hand in 3rd person view-and the other views,unless they use Virgil's biped skeleton.

However,Virgil's default weapons appear even if i replace the name of the weapon actors with custom weapons names,
the displayed weapons are still the default virgils weapons!

So,if the virgil default weapons insist to appear,
i thought it must be the skeleton they use-virgil skeleton.
So,i search a little the forum and at last i found virgil biped at hike1's filefront files.
After modfied the biped height to match the custom player's height,
i replaced the custom weapon skeleton with virgil biped,the custom weapon shows up.

For good or bad,i will build the custom characters and weapons according the virgil biped.
Thats because it must be the same number of bones and same bone names with virgil skeleton.
What can it be?-This bug appeared at 0.75A and 0.75B updates.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:18 pm

There is nothing hardcoded in the source. If it works for virgil it will work for any actor. If you comment out the weapon definitions in weapon.ini there's no way that they will show up... some things to remember:
Custom players need customized playersetup.ini files
3rd person weapons need the same skeleton as the 3rd person player
Weapon animations need to be in the player actor file - not the weapon actor file
Each weapon needs its own unique slot
Remember to have some empty lines at the end of all ini files or things might get screwed up

If you still have troubles post your custom files (or email them realityfactory(AT)gmx.at) so I can have a look at your problem.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:42 pm

The default weapon.ini work ok-if i dont find whats wrong,i will post the custom weapon.ini.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:59 pm

Sorry-i was nt paying enough attention-now its ok-.
I did nt take notice that i had disabled the use character selection dialog,and the custom .ini files that the character uses were nt loaded.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:58 pm

QoD, what about the bone name to attach to? Is that configurable?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:25 am

The 3rd person weapon is the player skeleton with the weapon mesh attached to it. There is no bone to attach the weapon to.
1st person weapons can have a totally different skeleton. The .ini file variables viewrotation, viewoffset and viewscale are used to position the 1st person weapon actor correctly on the screen.