[FIXED 076] Falling through MovingPlatforms.

Post any Bug Reports here
incenseman2003

[FIXED 076] Falling through MovingPlatforms.

Post by incenseman2003 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:25 am

I set up a static mesh building that I made in milkshape.
I made a place for an elevator.
I am using a MovingPlatform for the elevator.
I can ride it down but when it starts back up I fall through it.
How do I get the MovingPlatform to let me stay on it while it is going down and up?

Also is there a way to stop projectiles from weapons fom going through a static mesh?
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.

fps
Location: in a magical land devoid of hope, happiness, and sanity.

Post by fps » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:42 pm

I have also recently had a problem with falling through moving platform eleavators. i dont know how to fix it but i know that the collision detection on the sides still works.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:40 pm

It seems that I have fixed my MovingPlatform to the point that it allows the player to ride it to the second floor by deleting the model and recreating it.

If I have the player try to go past the second floor the player stops moving but the MovingPlatform doesnt, hence I fall through the lift.

It is as if there is an invisible ceiling at the level of the third floor that the player cannot get past.

I put a ladder on the outside of the building that goes up to the top of the 4 floor building.

I can climb that all the way to the top with no problem.

I put the ladder in the elevator shaft and can still climb all the way to the top of the building without an issue.

It is only when I am standing on the MovingPlatform that is the lift that I fall through trying to go up to the third floor or higher.

I can get on the lift from the ground and second floors just fine.

If I try to get on the lift from any floor higher than the third floor, the lift goes up and I sit still and fall through.

I moved the lift outside the building so that it is surrounded by nothing and I still fall through the lift at the same height.

I removed the StaticMesh building and I still fall through the lift at the same height.

I created an empty test level with just me and a MovingPlatform used as a lift. A band new test level from scratch and I still fall through the lift at the same height.

Created a lift using a MovingPlatform in a default install of RF and and I still fall through the lift at the same height.

I am willing to bet that this is a new one. I have read of this type of issue before, but not that stated the same conditions.

Can someome enlighten me as to what the issue might be and how it can be fixed or is this a bug that there is no way to get around?

Please tell me that I can have elevators in RF that go higher than the second floor.

Edit 5:35 PM 3/8/2007:

With all the mucking about that I have been doing the lift now doesnt allow me to even stand on it at all. When it moves I get left behind.

I installed a brand new install of RF. I applied the 75C patch. I created a one room level with just me and a lift. When gets to a certain height I get left behind.

Why would the MovingPlatforms just stop working like they are supposed to?

Edit 11:17 PM 3/10/2007:

I placed a robot on the lift using the idle.s and it got to the same point that I did and fell through.

not matter what I do the player and the pawns all fall through the MovingPlatform at 500 texels from the floor.

I have three computers in the house and all of then have radically different specs and it happens on all of them.

Has anyone else had this exact issue?

Should I have posted this in the bug thread?
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun May 20, 2007 5:04 am

Bug will be fixed in next release.

CModelManager.cpp
in the function
CModelManager::MoveModel

change
int nActorCount = CCD->ActorManager()->GetActorsInRange(Center, ModelRange, 512, &ActorsInRange[0]);
to
geVec3d tmp;
geVec3d_Add(&Center, &(ResultXmf.Translation), &tmp);

int nActorCount = CCD->ActorManager()->GetActorsInRange(tmp, ModelRange, 512, &ActorsInRange[0]);

[edit: corrected bug fix after testing]
Last edited by QuestOfDreams on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:21 pm

What is the estimated time frame for the launch of the next version that has the fix for this issue?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:39 pm

There will probably a release at the end of july when my exams at university are over ...

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:08 pm

I can just work with the other 3 engines that I use until then.

Thanks for the work you do.

EDIT 11:21 AM 8/19/2007:
QuestOfDreams, Was just wondering about the next release of RF and the fixes that have been mentioned. You said it might be out by the end of July. It is near the end of August. Hope your not ill and if you are then I hope you feel better soon. I also hope that you did well on your exams.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:10 pm

I am bumping this thread because it asks a question that begs an answer.

When is the next release of RF going to happen, with the fix for the MovingPaltform issues?

That is a fare question.

bradford789

Post by bradford789 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:15 pm

ok it is december 8 2007 i cant get the platform to go past 512 pixels i thought that this problem was going to be fixed i have a very large level and i need to be able to have elevators that will reach the top of the level but if i cant get past 512 pixels then im not going to be able to complete or make my game work

So could you please tell me how i can get past this problem or when are you guys going to fix this problem thank you and have a nice day

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:21 pm

It's in the next official release (RF076), maybe you'd like to look at this topic also:

http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... php?t=2869

I guess it's going to be released with the dx9driver - which is in the new year... (QoD did not name any specific date)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Tanks for the tip!!