Possible Bugs

Post any Bug Reports here
Juryiel

Possible Bugs

Post by Juryiel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Well I tried to make sure that it isn't somethign I'm doing wrong and that these are indeed bugs, but I'm not 100% sure.

Below I've attached a script to illustrate the problems. Please run the script in third person camera view (the f2 one) as it is not designed to work in other camera views.

Bug #1: PlayerToPosition function doesn't seem to be updating the Z coordinate correctly. Hard to explain, but basically I've made a levitation script using a scripted player, however, when levitating the PlayerToPosition function is not updating the Z coordinate correctly when levitating. Download the attached script to see what I mean. Jump up and hold the L key to levitate. You will notice that the pawn levitates but the camera (very slowly) drops down, which is an effect of the player dropping as confirmed by removing the PlayerRender(false) command.

Bug #2: Again, hard to explain the bug so see the script. Go into the third person camera view (f2), walk up to a wall, turn the camera to face away from the wall, and then jump towards the camera a bunch of times. When I do this I crash about 90% or more of the times. Not sure what is causing it.
Attachments
juryactionplayer.zip
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 am

You could try to use AttachCamera() in the Setup order. This attaches the camera to the pawn and not to the player.

I think it has something to do with the disabling of the gravity for the pawn. When the gravity for the pawn is disabled, the player actor could fall down just becasue of its own gravity... Right now i don't know any other workaround as the one above. But i have not experienced something like this before.

btw nice script.

EDIT: I am sorry but i didn't have the time to test the script, i was merely guessing by looking at it. So i cannot sy for sure that it's a bug or not...
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Juryiel

Post by Juryiel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:02 am

Hey Jay, that won't work, because I want the camera to be able to rotate around the pawn. The control scheme is similar to games like kingdom hearts, where you can rotate the camera around the player, and you move relative to the camera (e.g. forward key always moves away from camera, backward always towards it, etc).

Also, the player is not falling due to his own gravity, because he falls much slower than when gravity is on. Well I don't think anyway :) Also, since the PlayerToPosition is running every frame, the player should keep teleporting up to the pawn every frame, even if he's falling, and he's not doing that, he just gradually falls slowly.

I appreciate your help and suggestions though!

Juryiel

Post by Juryiel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 am

Bug report update. The crashing is not because I'm going toward a wall. Apparently hitting the combination of S and Spacebar often causes a crash. When I change the backwards key to another button.. say X, there is no crashing.

vrageprogrammer

Post by vrageprogrammer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Did you take a look at the log?
Crashing often occurs due to missing animations :D
It was not Possible to determine the dimensions of the image....

Juryiel

Post by Juryiel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:39 pm

Well, since using a key other than S works, I'm inclined to assume that it's not an animation issue ;) But I did look at the log, there are a bunch of animation warnings but the animations that take place when I hit back and jump are all available and not missing. My script assigns a bunch of missing animations to variables just because based it on another script and have not removed the old calls yet, but those animations are never called in the orders.