Demos crash with CGenesisEngine::BeginFrame failed

Post any Bug Reports here
jnm

Demos crash with CGenesisEngine::BeginFrame failed

Post by jnm » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:01 am

I've tried a couple of the Reality Factory demos but they seem to crash when I try to start the game. It says "Loading..." for a few seconds and then everything closes. In the RealityFactory.log file the last line is "CGenesisEngine::BeginFrame failed".

Other odd lines are
"File open attempt failed on type '9', file '.\keyboard.ini'
File open attempt failed on type '9', file '.\savedgames.rgf'"

I tried a suggestion from another post (running in Win98 compatibility mode) but it didn't change anything. I even ran the Bad Medicine demo in a 640x480 window--same prob.

I'm running a Gateway Solo 450 laptop, Win XP sp2, ATI Mobility M6, Omega drivers.... Certainly not a gaming system but it runs stuff like UT2004 and Halo demos without problems.

Anybody know what's going on?

swampy

Post by swampy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:37 am

I have the same problem (also on a laptop) - I tried running some demos and they fail as described above, but at least one works.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the graphics card, or software mode - I can only run in software mode (my game desktop died on me a couple of weeks ago so I'm stuck with the laptop and software rendering until I can afford to fork out for a new machine)

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:11 pm

RF FAQ http://terrymorgan.net/rffaq.zip

RF doesn't have software mode.

swampy

Post by swampy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:25 am

Interesting - I don't have a 3dfx card on this laptop, thought it defaulted to software if a 3dfx card was not found (don't know why I thought that).

Nonetheless I downloaded the .rar version of asylum and it now works whereas before the asylumSetup.exe install was always giving the error - so no worries for me 8)