Normal mapping

Post any Bug Reports here
Danimita92

Normal mapping

Post by Danimita92 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi everybody, I'm here to ask a question for Zidane, who's English isn't that good.
The problem is when actors have their BN0 and BNB, which work fine, except they only work properly depending on where the camera's looking, because most of the time the faces are either black.

Is this a bug or is it fixable?

Thanks for reading!

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Normal mapping

Post by bernie » Tue May 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Bumpmapping for actors is buggy and doesn't really work all that well. What you are seeing is pretty normal for a bumpmapped model. The bumpmapping seems to respond to one light entity only and that is the one nearest to the actor I think. I gave up on using bumpmapping for actors a long time ago as I could never get it to work properly.

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:46 pm

It's a shame. Oh, well. The one on the brushes DID work until the latest version. It'd be cool to see it fixed in the next version, come when it may

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 pm

I would consider this a bug. Normal mapping (DOT3 bump mapping) requires a light direction to calculate the tangent space matrix that is required for the effect. Apparently this only works with the static lights of the actor. If you are familiar with C code, have a look at the gePuppet_SetVertexColorDot3.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....