Wish List

Topics regarding the actor editor Equity
SV2.0

Re: Wish List

Post by SV2.0 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:35 am

Support for Maya animations would be awesome. There are exporters for .bdy's but I've never seen them for .mot's. Being able to import the .anim format would be awesome. Animating with IK and baking to keyframes is so much easier than using Milkshape. This is way down the road of course, since it isn't absolutely necessary and not many indies use Maya.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Hello

SV2.0

Ok i have been doing a spot of research and from what i can see Maya can export in the ascii format i want you to look at this link it also contains an section on importing and exporting the Maya animations.

http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manu ... index.html

See what you think if you can export ascii i think we can import into Equity and create the actor and its animations see
what you think.

Thanks
Terry

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:05 am

Yeah, Maya definitely exports to the ascii format, but unless there's a way to specify through mel commands I'm pretty sure it exports the entire scene. So an exported scene containing an animation would have to be trimmed down to just the motion information when equity imports, right? (If that's a stupid assumption you're free to blame my complete coding and scripting ignorance.) Anyway, if you need any exported files to look at I would be happy to supply them.

Thanks

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:36 am

hello

Yer it would have to be trimed down and yes would love an example file just thinking if thats the case there could be several models in a scene so can look for them all and there motions.

But first things first an exmaple file and just for the sake of it put two animmated models in the scene.

Thanks
terry

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:05 pm

hgt_terry, if you add support for the COLLADA file format then you will have support for most major modeling applications including 3ds Max, Maya, Blender, Milkshape, Ogre, Wings3d, and a lot more. COLLADA is a royalty-free XML format that allows models and animations to be easily exchanged between 3D programs. The industry has adopted this format so I think Equity should use it also.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Use the ogre xml exporter which Equity already supports. Go here: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/OGRE_Exporters. No need to mess with Collada just about all those programs you mentioned have exporters for ogre xml or ogre mesh/sekleton files equity supports both.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello
SV2.0 and Allanon
Yes Berine is correct in what he he is saying you have 6.0.0 which can import both Ogre xml and native .mesh . skelleton

6.1.0 due for realease soon can also export to the xml and .mesh .skeleton ready for RF2 (No Weights RF1 Actors)

So if maya can do this use that route for now i would like to make a more dedicated system for maya and will work on it but for the moment do what berine has said.

Thanks
Terry

PS
Thanks Bernie

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Sorry, didn't know it already had support for OgreXML. BTW there are COLLADA to OgreXML converters so it seems like most modeling programs are covered, cool.

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:18 am

Oh, sweet. I'll definitely check that out, thanks guys.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:03 pm

Can it do Unreal3 ASE format ?

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Timbo

Funny you say that i was just looking at the Unreal3 formats i know it does export to obj format also looking at the model format its skelleton based like our actor format.

will let you know if it can be done.

Terry