EQUITY BUG REPORTS

Topics regarding the actor editor Equity
bernie
RF Moderator

EQUITY BUG REPORTS

Post by bernie » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Please post any bug reports in this thread. Thank you.

zany_001

Re: EQUITY BUG REPORTS

Post by zany_001 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:14 am

As I explain in graywolf's blender exporter thread, I encountered some errors with Equity when I tried to import the NFO with Equity:
No node name poo,
Node error,
No Mesh List
Cant Get Body

Then Equity crashes.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 am

Please post your NFO file. From the errors you posted it looks like the NFO file is faulty .

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:46 am

True story.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:31 am

This is not an Equity problem, although it has shown a minor bug in the error trapping as it should not have crashed at the end. Apologies for that.

Your NFO lists 2 nodes but only 1 is named and shown hence the errors:
No node name poo (apologies for the "poo" that should have been flushed out before release),
Node error.

Your NFO contains no mesh hence the errors:
No Mesh List,
Cant Get Body.

Your NFO contains no material... this does not throw up an error at this point. If no material is found Equity will supply a dummy material and tell you it has done that on completion of import. Because there is no mesh to apply material to, Equity crashes.

Either your NFO exporter is at fault OR you don't know how to use it.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:46 am

Hmm. I edited the file directly to change the node list to 1, as the script seems to double the node size, but then I get errors about
Cant Find Bone For Mesh
Error Reading Vertices
Error Meshes
And then it crashes.

As far as I can see, the file doesn't have any mesh data, but it has got it there:

Code: Select all

Face List
Number of Faces = 12
Face 0:
4 0
0 1
3 2
Face 1:
4 3
3 4
7 5
Face 2:
2 6
6 7
7 8
Face 3:
2 9
7 10
3 11
Face 4:
1 12
5 13
2 14
Face 5:
5 15
6 16
2 17
Face 6:
0 18
4 19
1 20
Face 7:
4 21
5 22
1 23
I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's graywolfs exporter script.
True story.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:11 am

I have explained the errors you are getting from Equity. There is nothing wrong with Equity's import routine it imports NFO files correctly. There is however a small bug in the error trapping that is causing the crash at the end when it tries to add a dummy texture to a mesh that doesnt exist.

Here is the NFO that you posted in text form.

NFO 2.0
Material List
Number of Materials = 0
Bone List
Number of Bones = 2
Bone: Bone
Parent: -1
Bone: Bone
Parent: 0
Node Transform Matrix List
Number of Nodes = 2
Node(0): Bone
1.000000, -0.000000, 0.000000,
0.000000, -0.448074, 0.893997,
-0.000000, -0.893997, -0.448074,
-0.163103, 0.021854, -0.050633,
Q(w,x,y,z): 0.525322 0.850904 -0.000000 -0.000000
S(x,y,z): 1.000000 -0.448074 -0.448074
T(x,y,z): -0.163103 0.021854 -0.050633
Mesh List
Number of meshes = 0
This NFO file does not contain any mesh or texture and only one node. This NFO file is useless and will not load in Astudio either. I doubt there is anything wrong with graywolf's exporter, the problem must be user error. Blender is notorious for being difficult to use, you need to talk to someone who knows and understands blender. Also there are different versions of blender and different versions of python. Is it possible that the exporter doesn't work correctly with the version of blender and/or python that you are using.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 am

I tried again a second time, and it had the mesh data that I posted. However it still crashed Equity, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
True story.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:15 am

The list you show above is the face list that comes after the mesh list you must have a mesh list also.

A correct NFO file should contain the following.

NFO 2.0
Material List
Number of Materials = x
(MAP) name: name.BMP
(RGB) name: x x x
etc.
Bone List
Number of Bones = x
Bone: name
Parent: x
Bone: name
Parent: x
etc.
Node Transform Matrix List
Number of Nodes = x
Node(0): name
x, x, x,
x, x, x,
x, x, x,
x, x, x,
Q(w,x,y,z): x x x x
S(x,y,z): x x x x
T(x,y,z): x x x x
Node(1): name
etc.
Mesh List
Number of meshes = x
Node: mesh
Vertex List
Number of Vertices = x
x x x x x x name 
x x x x x x name
etc.
Texture Vertex List
Number of Texture Vertices = x
x x
x x
etc.
Number of Faces = x
Face 0:
    x
    x
    x x
    x x
    x x
Face 1:
    x
    x
    x x
    x x
    x x
etc.
As you can see when you look at your NFO there is no mesh list therefore there is no mesh.
Also there are no materials and no uv coords.
As I have explained twice already the reason Equity crashes is because it cannot apply a dummy texture to a non existent mesh. This is a minor bug in the error trapping routine. Even if that bug was not there you would recieve the same errors and it would not load as the NFO is faulty.
I suggest you contact graywolf and ask him how to use the exporter.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm

zany, I believe that you have to select the meshes you want to export before you use the exporter. It is similar to the Quake 3 BSP exporter. In Blender, select all meshes then use the exporter. Post your output from that.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:40 am

Yes, I did that, as I followed the script instructions. I even tried selecting both the armature and the mesh, and same result.
True story.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:21 am

Version: Equity 6.0.0 Beta

Some design issues I've noticed:

It's not a bug but I've noticed that this version of Equity creates an ini file at C:\EqIni
In my opinion this is very ugly. The ini file should either be placed in the same folder as the application or in the application data directory.

The "RFView" and "Equity" buttons are basically doing the same thing so one of them is superfluous.

In the import menu the entry for the ogre xml files should really be renamed from "XML model" to "Ogre XML" as an xml file can contain anything (xml is just a general markup language and not restricted to the description of ogre models).

In the documentation's links section, the link to the realityfactory site is given as
http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/
but should rather be
http://www.realityfactory.info/
because the cms directory (probably will not but) may change whereas the latter address will always point to the front page

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Hey guys, I'm expiriencing a strange joint problem in Equity. I open a rigged actor in Equity, than click Export > all. The joints of the exported actor get a little rotated (randomly with the different models I think). In the actor view, if I set the view to wireframe and make the bones visible, everything's OK, but the exported ector has problems with the skeleton, I need that ector exported correctly, I'll upload the model for you guys to check it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?imwtyyomxgn

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:37 pm

I opened a human actor with Equity and I exported it as MS3D. When I opened the actor in Milkshape, the skeleton was messed up - it was tilted a little. OK, big deal, I can tilt the actor too and than fix everyting in Equity with the actor positioning thing, but there was a problem because of that tilt. When I tried to add the human's motions back, Equity said that the Animation doesn't match the actor bones, and the animation plays well in Milkshape...
I'm uploading the model so you can test it and see what's wrong.
http://drivingblind.eu/evil_w_blue.rar

I have asked for this before, it's just a reminder in case hgt_terry forgets (I spoke with him some time ago about that)

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:40 pm

I have been using Equity a lot yesterday and today, mainly for animating. I am using Version 6.0.0 Beta.

Here is what i noticed (this is all in motion editing mode):

1. When you are at the last frame and use the right arrow to get to the next frame, Equity crashes.
2. When you are at the last bone and use the right arrow to get the next bone, Equity crashes.
3. When you are at the first bone and use the left arrow to get the bone before, Equity crashes.
You could either check if the number you are using to access the arrays is too high/too low, or make those two continous (after the last it goes to the first and vice versa). That would have the benefit that you can easily check if the last animation is the same as the first (for continous animations)

EDIT: Strangely, they not always cause a crash, but i still suspect a problem here...

Those were thinghs that would be easy to fix. Now there are a few more i am not sure from what they stem:
4. I also had this one time when i selected a bone with the arrows on the keyboard (up/down) and then pressed Enter, then Equity crashed. Not sure what happend here.
5. Also one time i got a crash during saving. The actor was then broken and trying to load it crashed Equity. Maybe let Equity make a backup of the current file before saving, then if everthing worked, delete it again? (Backup - Save - Delete backup) This way no disk space would be wasted if everything is alright and if something did go wrong, you would still have a backup (I do backups every now and then, but there might be others that don't)

Good luck with fixing those bugs :wink:

EDIT:

6. Deleting a motion while playing it caused a crash.
7. Trying to press "Load selected Motions " (.*mot) without any selected motions caused a crash.

The biggest problem is that many of those crashes aren't really predictable.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----