Equity 6.0.0 Beta release

Topics regarding the actor editor Equity
hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Equity 6.0.0 Beta release

Post by hgt_terry » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Equity 6.0.0 Beta is now available for down load at
http://hosted.filefront.com/hgtterry/

First Sorry for two Beta releases in a row but it’s been a complete rewrite.

We have spent some time on the help file but want it to be a reference to how the actor works as well as a help file so for this release the help file is included in the main Equity download and is available from the menu in Equity under help but from now on the help file will be a work in progress. So I will start a new topic in the Equity section of the forum called Equity help file and post any updates for the help file so as to save posting all over the place. Then simply replace the Equity.chm file with the new one in the Equity folder.

Well this is a completely new interface and we have endeavoured to test Equity 6 as much as we can hence the Beta release if you find any bugs or problems big or small please feel free to post at.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4178

Also any ideas you might have or request.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4096

Planned for next release. (Equity 6.0.1)

1 Motion Sequencer: This will allow two or more motions to be combined and then pick a start frame and end frame and create a completely new motion or select a part of a single motion start end and extract that part as a new motion.

2 Alpha Edit: Directly edit the alpha channel with a built in alpha texture editor in Equity.

As well as general improvements and bug fixes.

Also work will start on the Mesh and Bone editors and will allow you when finished
To make the skeleton and mesh and rig it. (Assign mesh to joints)

And some tutorials along the way.

The next import format will probably be the cob file format (Truespace) and also work on jet3d with paradoxnj will have to contact him and see what we can do.

Let me know what you think Cheers.
Terry

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Re: Equity 6.0.0 Beta release

Post by hgt_terry » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Spelling is properly all up the creek Bernie what do you think

next part we can do mesh and bones independent of genesis3d.

Check out references in help file hope that covers it.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:20 pm

@hgt_terry
As I have told you privately.
Because you are using Gensis API calls and Genesis header files in Equity you MUST comply with the Genesis Licence, which is a legal document. In order to do that you must do 3 things.

1 You MUST include the Genesis anmimate Logo and splash screen at the start of the executable.
2 You MUST include a copy of the Genesis Licence in any release.
3 You MUST include Your source code with any release and it must remain available for 12 months after the the date it became available.
OR if you do not wish to release your source code a commercial, closed source, no splash screen license is also available for $10,000 per title. Please contact jet3d@yahoo.com to make arrangements for a commercial license.

Because none of the above conditions are being met I will take no part in Equity or its future development whatsoever as I have already told you.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Quest of Dreams

I am totally confused with all this I take the point that Bernie is saying.

But we don’t use the engine so there is no splash screen also we don’t not modify any of the code in the API calls or any of the headers.

And is freely available at

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=239507

I have read the license and don’t really understand it as far as I can tell we only have to release the code to the API or header if it’s been modified.

Can you help me out with this before I carry on with Equity.

Thanks
Terry

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:32 pm

If you didn't modify any Genesis3d engine code then you don't have to post your code. If you use the engine's API and render graphics using the engine then you must display the Genesis3d splash screen. If you use the engine's API but don't use it to render graphics then you need to display the Genesis3d logo that is included in the Genesis3d SDK. That logo also needs to be displayed on any documentation or packaging that is included with the program. You can resize the logo as long as it is readable and it can be included on the program's about screen or an opening screen so it's not visible all the time. Look at the Actor Studio program for an example of how to display the Genesis3d logo.

Most of this post is from my memory of when the Genesis3d engine was first released and the Eclipse developers were answering everybody's questions. They might have also stated that if the application was a tool for the Genesis3d engine then the logo would not be necessary but I'm not too sure about that so you should display the logo just to be on the safe side.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks Allanon for your post.

Have added the genesis logo as in Actor Studio program to the about box in Equity and a link to the SDK 1.6 which is what Reality Factory uses i think.

Also added logo to help file.

And are now on my FileFront account.

Thanks Again Allanon.

Terry

PS
If QuestOfDreams Could confirm all this I can carry on with Equity as all this is delaying work.

Again Thanks

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Just download version 6 and was messing around to see what was new and I found a bug. The "Solid Colour (RGB)" panel appears on the right when I select a texture without a bitmap. But when I select the root actor name in the tree view then the "Solid Colour (RGB)" panel doesn't go away and if you mouse over the panel then the controls for the root actor name are shown.
Attachments
equity bug.JPG
(69.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Allanon

Yes over looked that will be fixed for next release also be aware Reality Factory does not display solid colour in the Actor i did not know that at the time of writing that part of the code but have kept in case Reality Factory might use solid colour later will correct that problem for next release so it works correct and understand what you have said.

At the moment Reality Factory only uses texture maps not RGB but that could change.

Thanks
Terry

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 am

hgt_terry wrote:PS
If QuestOfDreams Could confirm all this I can carry on with Equity as all this is delaying work.
As far as my understanding of the Genesis3D license goes, Allanon's post about the requirements should be correct.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks

QuestOfDreams

First Happy Birthday bit late been off line for a bit.

Thanks will carry on now with Equity have taken all the points you said in Equity Bug Reports post will correct them and other stuff mentioned in forums.

Will get stuck into the motion sequencer now think it will be a good idea combining and splitting motions.

Thanks again

Terry

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:05 pm

First off.....Great to be back, and see that we finally have a REAL modeling tool! YAY!

Second.....http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 57&forum=8

Third ......http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 32&forum=8

Fourth .....http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 55&forum=8 ( third from the bottom)

and there are many many many more.The fee is $200 to remove the logo.

Paradoxnj can tell you this as well. Contact gekido over at helios interactive if you must.

BUT STOP WITH THE $10,000 CRAP.

Also...about the whole liscense thing? :Taken right from the g3d home page, under the news section.

"After the acquisition WildTangent turned ownership of the open source effort over to the community and ceased to have further involvement with that effort.

The Genesis3D technology is a general-purpose game engine used by tens of thousands of amateur and professional game developers. We have no more association with the content that is produced on this engine than Microsoft has with the content posted on the Internet that uses Internet Explorer, or a CD manufacturer has with the content distributed on their media.

Any 'game engine' enables independent third parties to author any game of their choosing, no matter how objectionable its content is to us at WildTangent or to the public at large. We at WildTangent regret any association, no matter how distant with the game engine highlighted in the Anti-Defamation League report and certainly do not support nor condone the use of our technologies to sponsor hatred or to recruit individuals to hate groups. - Alex St. John, co-founder and CEO of WildTangent "

ANY.FURTHER.INVOLVEMENT.

Go ahead, guys.Remove the logo all you want.Most you'll have to pay is $200...if that.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Also, if you're wondering " Well...but...but David Stafford......"

The statement above absolves D.S. of anything to do with the Genesis 3d engine, based on this right here :http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cach ... l=en&gl=us

They did not change the lisence when W.T. bought Eclipse, that's all.And W.T. said they have jacksh--- to do with g3d anymore.

The thing is open source now.We need to change the license ourselves.What are they going to do about? Nothing.What is D.S. going to do about it? Nothing.I've had a lawyer look everything i've said here over...and he says I am 100% correct.

Toss the license out the friggin' window.It's about danged time.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Voltare, Genesis3d 1.1 was released to the public with it's current license. WildTangent got the rights to Genesis3d 2.0 and Dave also released that code to the public as Jet3d. Until the Genesis3d 1.1 license is offically changed Eclipse Entertainment (David Stafford) has the copyright and you need to follow it's license.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm

G3d 1.1 was released as open source, correct.W.T. did that.And, if you'll read, E.E. is no longer an entity, and D.S.( now owner/founder of metadatalabs) cannot have any claims on it, as his name is nowhere in the license.Period.And since E.E. is no longer an entity, and W.T. refuses to have anything to do with G3d....g3d is the communities now.Grab yer local lawyer...and see if I'm right here.You'll find out....I am.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm

It's immaterial now anyway because the new Equity after Terry releases the next one will be using a different engine for rendering anyway. It will more than likely be the Ogre engine and I will be working on it with him. Genesis is totally outdated now and cannot cope with the stuff RF2 will be using. The new Equity will be backward compatible with RF1 models and will still be able to build and modify them. We will also be aiming for Cross platform to include Linux and Mac as Ogre can run on those sytems.