Google Sketchup -> Equity -> Reality Factory?

Topics regarding the actor editor Equity
Nighthawk_0973

Google Sketchup -> Equity -> Reality Factory?

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:32 pm

I wan't to create this knight with some animations so he can be a player for my RPG game, but I was wondering if I could make models in google sketchup, and than export as a *.obj file, and than create animations for the models in equity, and than export it as a file for the RF actor studio. Is this possible?
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Google Sketchup -> Equity -> Reality Factory?

Post by bernie » Mon May 02, 2011 7:08 pm

You can't do it from an obj file or a 3ds files as these formats do not support a skeleton . Actor studio is very limited and can only make actors from .bdy files or from nfo and key files. Equity is a far better program for building act files but can't build and assign a skeleton yet. The only way is from either milkshape (Equity supports ms3d files directly) or gmax exported as nfo and key files from gmax or 3dsmax. If you use blender you will have to export from blender as ogre mesh and ogre skeleton files. If you export from sketchup you will have to export as ogre mesh and ogre skeleton files (I assume sketchup has ogre exporters and sketchup supports animation). Equity supports ogre mesh and skelton files also ogre xmlmesh and ogre xmlskeleton files. You can build animations in Equity and export as .act files. Milkshape is your best option and you can either make the animations in Milkshape and export them as either mot or smd files (All you need to do then is import the ms3d file into Equity, import the animations and then export as act files) or import the ms3d file and build the animation in Equity and export as an act file.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:24 pm

So if I make the model in ms3d, and than import it into equity, than use equity to export it to Actor Studio files types, and than use act studio to build skeletons/animations for the actor, and than export it and move on to the scripting section?
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon May 02, 2011 8:51 pm

No you don't use actor studio at all. Build the model in milkshape, build a skeleton in milkshape, assign the skeleton to the model, animate it, save out the animations as mot files, save the model as ms3d file. Import the ms3d file into Equity, import the mot files into Equity, save the act file and bring it into rf as a pawn. SIMPLES :wink:

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:52 am

only one problem: I have NO CLUE how to model in Milkshape and will not pay to have mine registered. I'm sticking with the <UNRIGESTERD> version. I also have no clue how to animate either.... I really do suck at game art but I need it for my game so I'll go with it.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue May 03, 2011 12:41 pm

I have NO CLUE how to model in Milkshape and will not pay to have mine registered
Well if thats the case you look like being stuck with either gmax or blender then. Good luck.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:32 pm

hm? If it's unregistered I can still model and export etc. I just can't use the stuff like FatBoy.... whatever that is...

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Export menu is there, but you can only export data in registered mode.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

ericssin

Post by ericssin » Wed May 04, 2011 12:36 am

gmax is easier than blender and since its like a simple 3dsmax version so a large amount of 3dsmax4 rigging tutorials will work on gmax, it is a good tool and free you can get it here: http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax, you can use the actor exporter on the downloads sections.