Spyware in Reality Factory ?!

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Markman

Spyware in Reality Factory ?!

Post by Markman »

RealityFactory.exe is trying to connect to the Internet on Startup.

The Destination IP is 80.48.15.24.
This is a "Hitcollector" from Gemius.com, a professional datakeeper who sells statistics about internet users.

Why did you put that into RF.
When my Demo is finished, I dont want to spread this Spyware in the RF-exe to be hated by people i wanted to impress.

Will you offer a RealityFactory.exe without Spyware ?
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Maybe you downloaded some non-official RF add-ons?
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

Realityfactory has no Spyware. You should check if you have Trojaners, Worms or Viruses on your computer.

(I know this because Realityfactory never tried to send data to the internet as long as i am using it and i've got a firewall that reports every tiny little Bit that is going out and in)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I can explain this easily. Reality Factory has rudimentary networking built-in, and it tries to connect to the internet on startup whether it is enabled or not.

EDIT: The destination IP thing is very strange. I have no clue why it would try to connect to that IP. Perhaps another program you installed has spyware in it, and that spyware is piggybacking on the connection RF establishes?
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Reality Factory definitly has NO spyware built in. (Why should we do this?) RF has some basic network capabilities and just tests if you have an internet connection so it can set up the network part of the engine correctly. Scan your hard disk for any other spyware, tracking cookies...
Markman

Post by Markman »

OK, it looks like RF ist trying to use the first internet connection it can find. In this case the connection was established by a tracking cookie.

In Detail:
I blocked RF to establish a connection (dial in) right after install as default setting, when ZoneAlarm made me aware of that the first time, so i did not get any further warnings.

BUT: If i am already connected to the internet, when i start RF, things get complicated. ZoneAlarm now shows a warning again, in wrong screen resolution, and when I block now, RF won't start !

Is it possible to deactivate the internet thing completely, as it WOULD look suspicious to the people I send the demo and I dont use Multiplay cos it doesn't work anyway ?

And maybe it slows down startup time too.
rainbow77

Free downloads

Post by rainbow77 »

Visiting free software download websites leads a person to expose his computers to the whole world of virus, worms and mostly open the door for the hackers. Hence before downloading a software from the free download site we should always look for the security.