out of memory

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
scott

out of memory

Post by scott » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:30 pm

i have no problems with starting and running RF, its when i come to compile my game, normaly i can compile it without any trouble and it dosnt take along time due to having small rooms. but i have started a project that is bigger than my other tester rooms and when i compile it without the extra options checked in the compile manager box it works fine, but with poor shadow casting so i asked people on the forum if they could help me and they suggested ticking the boxes in the light section of the complie manager and set the patch size low, so i tryed this and it is compiling normaly untim it gets to the " --- Calculating receivers from scratch ---" message and then after a while it says run out of memory to calculate receivers and then askes me if i want to preview the game.

now i have a newish computer with a intel celeron 2.6GHz processor and 256MB of ram with almost 10GB of hard drive space free, is there any way to make it save the information in the ram to the HD and then continue compiling because it shouldnt need all that RAM.
or any other way of sorting this problem out would be helpfull
*GD*

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:55 pm

I'm not sure what your talking about! Are you talking about the level compiler or the game compiler? Anyway have you restarted your computer then trying! I'm thinking its something besides the memory, maybe the level is to big?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

scott

Post by scott » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:09 pm

ok 1st its level comiler 2nd it is big, 1 room at the moment its L3072 x W3072 x H1024 with alot of objects in, i am not bother how long it takes to compile i just want it to compile, it says i can run the level and when i try to run it it closes with a the error message this program had to close (or somthing like that) send report or view report options and so i close it and it goes back to RF edit program.

and i have restarted many times but it dosnt make any difference.
i have attached the information it displays while compiling.

i have also looked at the task manager and the perfromance and i think i have found the problem, page filing system (windows virtual memory) seems to gradualy fill up, i think if i manualy increase this amount it might sort the problem out.
*GD*

GD1

Post by GD1 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:21 pm

first of all, that is probably a bit on the big side for a room, but it should be fine still.

the problem is most likely that you checked radiosity. UNCHECK IT. it is really a waste of time in most cases, and it outputs files that are regularly over 70mb's and can go all the way up over a gigabite! read Gekido's post in your other thread, he had it right, you dont need to check anything different in the compiler than is checked by default, EVER. the only values to change are the level light AMOUNTS, and of course the Preview box.

to adjust the smoothness of the shadows try setting the lightmap scale, only on the faces that will have a shadow cast ON them, lower, to about 0.5

trust me, i've done a lot of messing around with trying to get smooth shadows.

scott

Post by scott » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:30 pm

thnx, i did have it chekecd, i then looked at the taskmanager and look.

ok ill uncheck it, and i have made the page file bigger, and oops i forgot to atach the file but it is sorted to i dont need to now thnx for your help. :)
Attachments
windows task manager.jpg
windows task manager.jpg (66.4 KiB) Viewed 803 times
*GD*