Basic Questions

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Aquiva

Basic Questions

Post by Aquiva » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Hey, a few basic questions to help me out. Customizing my world:

1. How do you add new textures? In RFTexture Pack how do you open your own textures? I says ".txl".... I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. How do I import JPEGs and GIFs and sorts into RF? Or... how do I export my pictures to .txl ?

2. How do I add my own actors? What format do they have to be? I hear Gmax is a program that has the right export function to match?
Then how do I actually add my own actor to my game as the main character?

3. How do I create a simple cause&effect reaction? Like my character colliding with a ball will cause the ball to roll?

4. Any tutorials that will direct me to set up the correct properties for an FPS?

Thanks!

~ Furincer

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:23 am

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:48 am

RF Manual:
http://dhost.info/realityfactory/onlinehelp/index.htm

RF Tutorials and ebook "Making 3d Games with Reality Factory"
http://dhost.info/realityfactory/tutorials.htm
1. How do you add new textures? In RFTexture Pack how do you open your own textures? I says ".txl".... I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. How do I import JPEGs and GIFs and sorts into RF? Or... how do I export my pictures to .txl ?
A .txl file is a texture library file you can open an existing .txl file with the RF Texture Packer tool. To add textures to the txl just drag and drop your image to the list of textures. To remove a texture just select the texture you want to delete an press the del key on your keyboard. Save the .txl when you're done. Then you can use it in the RF Editor.
To create a new .txl file just open the RF Texture Packer and drag and drop your images to the empty list. Save to a new .txl file and you're done.
You can only use .bmp and .tga files in the texture library.

2. How do I add my own actors? What format do they have to be? I hear Gmax is a program that has the right export function to match?
Then how do I actually add my own actor to my game as the main character?
Actors are added to your level via entities. The player actor can be specified in the PlayerSetup entity (more options for the player actor must be specified in the PlayerSetup.ini file in the "install" folder. Non-Player characters can be added with the Pawn entity (see the scripting section on how to control the pawns behaviour). Props can be added with the StaticEntityProxy entity...
Actors must be in .act format. Gmax can export to this format as well as some other modelling programs such as Milkshape3d etc ( http://dhost.info/realityfactory/about. ... uiredTools )