How do I get Reality Factory?

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
miccy2000

How do I get Reality Factory?

Post by miccy2000 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:29 am

Yeah, how do I get it? Can I have a link please?

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:37 am

Welcome, Miccy2000. It's great to have a new member of the community.

Click on the logo in the upper left hand corner of the forum page. That will take you to the Reality Factory homepage. On the left hand side you will see links to downloads, tutorials, resources, demos, etc. Everything you need is there.

Take your time and read the information on the homepage and check out the screens in the gallery.

miccy2000

Post by miccy2000 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:53 pm

Thanks, but which ones do I download?

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:48 pm

Welcome to the forums! :D

You can get this one for starters. http://dhost.info/realityfactory/downlo ... ry072A.exe

If you want more features, there is an update here: http://dhost.info/realityfactory/downlo ... Ato075.zip Just unzip that file into the place where you installed the above. NOTE: You don't need the second file, you can just do more with it.

miccy2000

Post by miccy2000 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:31 pm

Cool, I won't be able to download it for a while, but when I can I will, thanks.

miccy2000

Post by miccy2000 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:38 pm

Sorry to sound like a, I don't know, sound annoying, but is there any Disclaimer or Terms of Use thing? It's nothing personal, it's just my parents don't like me downloading files from, er, "Stranger" sites. This program sounds really cool so please help.

By the way, a lot of the games I may create when I download this are already drafted in text based form, and two came third place in a competition. I know this probably belongs in Game Ideas (or SPAM.com) but why don't you check them out and tell me what you think (all copyright=me).

Copy and paste into searchbar:

http://myadventuregame.com/story/Die_Zombie!_Die!.aspx

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:24 am

Yeah, you can read the license agreement in the first link.

Here it is:
Reality Factory License.

Copyright © <2003> <Gekido Design Group Inc>
Copyright © <2002> <Ralph Deane>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files ("Reality Factory"), to deal in Reality Factory without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of Reality Factory, and to permit persons to whom Reality Factory is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of Reality Factory. It's also prohibited to use Reality Factory for games that intentionally propagate genocide against a certain group, race, nation or religion existing in today's real world.

REALITY FACTORY IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH REALITY FACTORY OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN REALITY FACTORY.

License for Scintilla and SciTE

Copyright © 1998-2003 by Neil Hodgson <neilh@scintilla.org>

All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.

NEIL HODGSON DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL NEIL HODGSON BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

-+-+-

License for SciTE Context Menu Handler [1]

Copyright © 2003 Andre Burgaud (http://www.burgaud.com)

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

-+-+-

License for HTML Tidy - HTML / XML pretty printer [2]

Copyright © 1998-2003 World Wide Web Consortium (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University).
All Rights Reserved.

This software and documentation is provided "as is," and the copyright holders and contributing author(s) make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, warranties of merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose or that the use of the software or documentation will not infringe any third party patents, copyrights, trademarks or other rights.

The copyright holders and contributing author(s) will not be held liable for any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages arising out of any use of the software or documentation, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.

Permission is hereby granted to use, copy, modify, and distribute this source code, or portions hereof, documentation and executables, for any purpose, without fee, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this source code must not be misrepresented.
2. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such and must not be misrepresented as being the original source.
3. This Copyright notice may not be removed or altered from any source or altered source distribution.

The copyright holders and contributing author(s) specifically permit, without fee, and encourage the use of this source code as a component for supporting the Hypertext Markup Language in commercial products. If you use this source code in a product, acknowledgment is not required but would be appreciated.

-+-+-

License for Lua [3]

Copyright © 1994-1999 TeCGraf, PUC-Rio. All rights reserved.

Permission is hereby granted, without written agreement and without license or royalty fees, to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose, including commercial applications, subject to the following conditions:

- The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall appear in all copies or substantial portions of this software.

- The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be greatly appreciated (but it is not required). - Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.

The authors specifically disclaim any warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The software provided hereunder is on an "as is" basis, and the authors have no obligation to provide maintenance, support, updates, enhancements, or modifications. In no event shall TeCGraf, PUC-Rio, or the authors be held liable to any party for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of the use of this software and its documentation.

The Lua language and this implementation have been entirely designed and written by Waldemar Celes Filho, Roberto Ierusalimschy and Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo at TeCGraf, PUC-Rio.

This implementation contains no third-party code.

-+-+-

License for AWK [4]

Copyright © Lucent Technologies 1997
All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that the copyright notice and this permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting documentation, and that the name Lucent Technologies or any of its entities not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.

LUCENT DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL LUCENT OR ANY OF ITS ENTITIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

-+-+-

License for SciTE Installation Package [5]

Copyright © 2002-2003 Bruce Dodson. All rights reserved.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both the above copyright notice and this permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting documentation.

BRUCE DODSON DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL BRUCE DODSON BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

-+-+-

Notes

[1] SciTE Context Menu Handler is an optional component that enables an enhanced "Edit with SciTE" context menu option within Windows Explorer. The source code is available from http://www.burgaud.com/scite.php. (If you do not select the full context menu handler, a simple registry setting is used instead. This is not quite as nice, but it still gets the job done. Thanks to Philippe Lhoste for this setting.)

[2] HTML Tidy is an optional component that enables additional commands when editing HTML and XML files. It is installed if the setup option "HTML / XML indenting commands" is enabled. The source code is available from http://tidy.sourceforge.net/.

[3] Lua is an optional scripting component that can be embedded within SciTE. The source code for the version of Lua used in SciTE is available from the CVS repository at http://sourceforge.net/projects/scintilla/. The official Lua website is http://www.lua.org/.

[4] AWK is installed in order to enable the "Find in Files" command to work on Windows 95/98/ME. AT&T / Lucent AWK was chosen becaue it is easier to redistribute than GNU AWK or grep. Source code and programming examples are available from http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/awkbook/.

[5] This copyright and permission notice covers the setup wizard itself, and Bruce Dodson's customizations to the included programs and configuration files. The disclaimer of warranty and limitation of liability extend to the entire contents of the installation package.
Sorry about the length, RF borrows alot of other free software packages so it has to have their licenses in there too.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:10 am

Also, if your parents are worried about spyware or adware, and most folks are (can't blame them) here is a quote from QuestofDreams, the lead programmer and Administrator of this community:
Reality Factory definitely has NO spyware built in. (Why should we do this?) RF has some basic network capabilities and just tests if you have an internet connection so it can set up the network part of the engine correctly.
So, if your spyware/adware/anti-virus programs throw an alarm because it seems RF is trying to communicate with the internet when it's started, it isn't. it's just checking to see if your machine has an internet connection.

RF is only good wholesome stuff!! Non-Toxic too!! :D

[edit]I like that last bit. I'm gonna make that my signature![/edit]

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:58 am

...And if it does come up and your worried, just go ahead and deny it internet access. The multiplayer component is not complete enough to use anyway, and thats the only part of it that would need access.

It definitly does not contain any kind of malware. How do I know? Easy. It's open source. Don't believe me, look through the source code yourself. That's the security of open source software, any backdoors are promptly discovered.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:15 am

it's just my parents don't like me downloading files from, er, "Stranger" sites
Uhmm... I hope this is not a strange site :? May I ask why it seems to be strange for you?

miccy2000

Post by miccy2000 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks a lot guys, I will be able to download the program somewhere around the end of the month.

Dictionary Meaning - stranger (strain-jer)

adj. strang·er, strang·est

Not previously known; unfamiliar.

Hey, Stranger8, nice to see I helped spawn your new signature. Thanks for the help guys.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:22 am

Hey Miccy, in your profile over at myadventuregames.com it says you make movies. That has been one of my interests that I haven't had the guts to try my whole life. Any downloadable movies we could see :?:
Last edited by steven8 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:06 am

Dictionary Meaning - stranger (strain-jer)

adj. strang·er, strang·est

Not previously known; unfamiliar.
I see... my dictonary is just more complete :lol:
strange (strānj)
adj., strang·er, strang·est.
1. Not previously known; unfamiliar.
2.a. Out of the ordinary; unusual or striking.
2.b. Differing from the normal.
3. Not of one's own or a particular locality, environment, or kind; exotic.
4.a. Reserved in manner; distant.
4.b. Not comfortable or at ease; constrained.
5. Not accustomed or conditioned: She was strange to her new duties.
6. Archaic. Of, relating to, or characteristic of another place or part of the world; foreign.

miccy2000

Post by miccy2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:29 am

I'd like to get you some movies but

a. They aren't on the net.
b. If they were my parents would get ticked because I don't really know you (Oh no, stranger danger!)
c. I don't actually film the movies very often, I mostly just have a huge collection of scripts that I don't have the time, equipment or money to film.

Thanks for checking out the games though, hoped you liked it.

By the way, er, dictionary man with strange avatar, I did the dictionary thing to get my point across, not to enter the 2006online dictionary knowledge championships. Sorry if I offended you, or if you had to sit in your computer chair for days on end waiting for me to reply to your dic-tionary quotes. Sorry if that sounded offensive there too, but I'm a writer, it's what I am good at.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:23 am

miccy2000, I am a father of 3 little boys. 4, 6 and 9 yrs old. I understand your parents reluctance and lack of trust for the unkown here in cyberspace. It is the perfect place for an ambush, because people can be anything they want to be. I am forty years old and grew up in a world where we didn't even lock our front door, we trick or treated after dark on our own until the last porch light was turned out, and the internet wasn't even a word. Things have changed so much, and the world has become much more 'unsafe', it seems. The world has never been totally safe, and there have always been evil people, but I guess the lines of communication have become so common and accessible, that the bad people are finding more and easier access to perpetrate their bad acts. My 9 yr old now has his internet password, but I have him set on the kidzone level of safety. He has been bemoaning about it, because his friends can "surf wherever they want". I have noticed that every child has friends who can do everything they can't. Which, in essence, would mean that everyone can do everything they want. That is not true. Anyway, do not be down on your parents for their protective nature. They love you just as I love my children, and I'm quite sure that they would be destroyed if anything happened to you due to their lack of attention (or otherwise, I am quite sure.)

We know that we are good folks here, and that our product is good and safe, but your parents do not know this. have you discussed wanting to download Reality Factory with them? Have they seen the product license? It would be a good idea to have them visit the site and forum with you, so they can see it for themselves. That's what I'd want my sons to do with me.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!