All demos stop on "Genesis3D lightning" splashscre

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Don Guy Shot

All demos stop on "Genesis3D lightning" splashscre

Post by Don Guy Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:08 am

Hello,

I'm new here, so many thanks to Steven8 for his private help to let me run and so begin to learn RF.

My own goal isn't to build real games within RF, but to make movies known as "machinimas" (take a look at http://www.machinima.com).
So I learn and try all that will help me to do the same kind of movies.

I would like to watch some demos of RF that I downloaded on the RF website to see if as I hope the RF is the tool I search (I think so and I hope so ;-).

But I have a problem I don't understand : if I'm able to run the RF 075 on my computer, it is impossible to run any demo downloaded as it freeze at the genesis3d splash-screen on the lightning appearing (but the lightning continue to move !) so I never see the "starlight" on a demo RF as I can see it on the standard RF opening.

I have tried within the demo RealityFactori.ini file to set the "opengl" driver instead of "d3d16" one, FullScreen=false, Renderer=SOFTWARE, 800*600 etc. but without any success. :-/

I have a dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP sp2 1GoRAM and a GeForce 5200 with the 84.21 driver, which seems to run well on the steven8 computer...

So do you know what can be wrong ? Can you help me please ?

Thank you for your time,
Guy

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:31 am

Some of the RF demos have been created with an older version of the Genesis3D engine which had a bug preventing it from running properly under Windows XP. Try to set the compatibility mode of the program to win98 (left click on the program, select properties -> compatibility)

Don Guy Shot

[solution] set w98 compatibility mode to run RF demos

Post by Don Guy Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:00 am

That's fine QuestOfDreams : this (w98 compatibility set) was the solution, many thanks ! :-)

So the D3D driver lets the things go well, and is better than OpenGL as I can see. Is it true for you too ?

Best,
Guy

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:09 am

Yes, the OpenGL driver is missing some features and has some problems with lightmaps.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 pm

Hello Don Guy Shot,

It sounds to me from the messages you sent that you have already made great steps towards customizing RF the way you want it. You've learned a lot over the last couple of days. Excellent!

I was out of town for the weekend, so I've missed many posts. I know that one of Mike Wuethericks fondest dreams was to have RF be used for serious machinima. He has since moved on to Beyond Virtual, but in his time here, he talked a lot about using RF for machinima.

Have you downloaded Dan Valeo's SOM demo? He was an expert scripter, and had some wonderful short 'movies' in that demo.

From your notes, I'd say you've been using the onlie help, but here is a quick-link anyway :) :

http://dhost.info/realityfactory/onlinehelp/index.htm

Scroll down the contents to 'Making In-Game Movies'. I believe that is the way to start. Let us know how else we can help you.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:57 am

Don Guy,

How is your progress? Do you have any issues that need resolved?
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!