I give up...

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Fitzavig

I give up...

Post by Fitzavig » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:50 am

I saw this and thought "wow, I finally found something that will ease the creation of 3d games" and so I installed it. The demo ran without a hitch except for some glitches on the main menu (some sorta transparency issue with the mouse and menu items).

Then I follow one of the tutorials listed in the docs section called "Introducing RFEditPro". It compiles fine and I run it just like it says. Then I find the stupid thing won't let me turn in under a minute. I've gotten Doom 3 running on this computer so this has no excuse to be this mind-numbingly slow! It's just a simple cube with a playersetup and playerstart entities. Then I play around with the tray program only to find it's missing half it's icons and RFide doesn't work.

I then check the forums to seek help hoping to solve my dilemma. I find there's either no solutions whatsoever or suggestions to do stuff that still don't make it work.

Now the tray program says that a program called "Reality Factory" (which I assume is important) cannot be found. I also try loading other levels in RFEditPro and it gives me 5 dialog boxes about why it won't work.

The engine randomly crashes when I try to view levels, programs are dysfunctional or non-existant, support is inadequate, and it just doesn't work like it ought to altogether. My expectations weren't extremely high for this (not to say I expected this!) but this program feels like it isn't even finished enough to be a beta.

I hope I'm wrong and these problems are easily fixable, but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Until these issues are fixed or solutions are found, I'll just have to search elsewhere for a good set of tools to make 3d games with. A program should not require it's user to fix dozens of bugs the developers didn't repair.

guest_jonas

Post by guest_jonas » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:24 am

:lol: I haven't seen you post intill just know! What operating system do you have and graphics card and proccesser! Also have you tried opening the video program and changing the settings? I think QuestofDreams added that in this installation\ if knot then let me know and I'll either email it to you or something. Because on my computer I had to fiddle around with it for a while to get the right settings.

Levels! The realityfactory engine is kinda of picky with the levels! What kind of levels are you trying to use? If you need any help let with levels let me know!

I don't know why I can't log-in at the time, but when I can I'll post as jonas!

guest_jonas

Post by guest_jonas » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:36 am

By the way Welcome to the rf board

I would also like to point out to you that this is free!!!!!!!!!!! That Alot of people on this board are helping make this better! Also if you can answer some of the questions above then it might help us find out how to make it better!!! This computer that I'm typing this message on does not allow me to view levels with rfeditpro! If you really wan't to make games like the rest of us here we are willing to wait and figure out the problems to make this game creation engine better! One of the big reasons I use this engine is because you don't have to learn C++ or some other language to make games, and most all the free ones do require that! Most everyone on this board are willing to help you! A lot of people have started out with problems and not knowing anything about rf like me for instance and have made our way past the problem stage to the devolopment stage!

Fitzavig

Post by Fitzavig » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:47 am

I woulda responded sooner but you know how stuff can unexpectedly occur.

My OS is WinXP Home Edition. My graphics card in an Intel one and my processor is an Intel Celeron M at 1,400 Mhz. It ain't much but it ought to run this stuff (after all, I got Doom 3 running on this).

What do you mean by opening a video program? There's tons of programs and none of them are called "video program". In terms of levels, I just used the Open command in RFEditPro to open /media/levels/rftechv1.3DT. I'm assuming that included level files are compatible with the program but like I said, I got numerous dialogs on how it won't work properly or at all.

I realize this is free and love it. I guess that if worse comes to worse, I can just fix the bugs in the source code myself. I have experience with programming but I'd rather be using my time on the game making and not the game maker making.

jonas_

Post by jonas_ » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:19 am

I understand! Have you tried any of the other level editors? I agree someone needs to make a few repiars to rfeditpro! when you are working on large levels remember Save very very often!!! :lol: If I could find the source code to rfeditpro its self I would take a look at it! I'm learning C++ and Java and html and trying python and others! (I should just pick one and go on with life :o but I like the special features of each language :lol:) Anyways if I were you I would try one of the other level editors in the download section!

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:20 am

Then I play around with the tray program only to find it's missing half it's icons and RFide doesn't work.

First, the tray bar doesn't miss any icons, since it uses the icons of the files it links to. It is possible that it can't resolve all links if you have installed RF to another directory than the default one. the traybar is fully customizeable so you just have to update the links to point to the correct location
I then check the forums to seek help hoping to solve my dilemma. I find there's either no solutions whatsoever or suggestions to do stuff that still don't make it work.

If you can't find the answer to your problem on the forum then ask for heaven's sake!
If you don't post on the forums how should we know you have a problem?

Now the tray program says that a program called "Reality Factory" (which I assume is important) cannot be found. I also try loading other levels in RFEditPro and it gives me 5 dialog boxes about why it won't work.
RealityFactory is the main program, that becomes your game exe
You can access RealityFactory and RFedit pro through the start menu too - or you can browse to the directory you installed RF to and start the programs there.
The editor needs to be setup correctly (again it's configured to work in the default install directory), probably asking you to choose a texture library for your level (and certainly not popping up 5 dialog boxes - if it does you're doing something completly wrong)

The engine randomly crashes when I try to view levels, programs are dysfunctional or non-existant, support is inadequate, and it just doesn't work like it ought to altogether.
The engine only crashes if you didn't setup your level correctly (in most cases it doesn't find a referenced resource eg. a bitmap or an actor), you just have to open the realityfactory.log file and in most cases it will tell you what went wrong
If you mean that the editor is crashing sometimes, this might happen when you're viewing very detailed geometry (like actors) because the editor wasn't made for showing high poly models in the beginning. So save often.
All programs are functional and do exist, the rf community is a very supportive one and tries to help others as best as it can.

Also have you tried opening the video program and changing the settings?
The VideoSetup.exe is not included with the current install since it is outdated an would produce incorrect .ini files

In terms of levels, I just used the Open command in RFEditPro to open /media/levels/rftechv1.3DT. I'm assuming that included level files are compatible with the program but like I said, I got numerous dialogs on how it won't work properly or at all.
The levels are fully compatible with the editor, rftechv1.3dt is in fact the demo level you played. What are dialog boxes saying that are popping up?

If I could find the source code to rfeditpro its self I would take a look at it! I'm learning C++ and Java and html and trying python and others!
The source code can be found in the downloads section under Main RF Downloads

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:47 pm

Try some of the demos, tuts at http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm

rf faq http://terrymorgan.net/rffaq.zip

I use world editor 2, my levels run at 40 FPS at least.

Fitzavig

Post by Fitzavig » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:00 pm

I'll be working at getting this going later, but thanks for the support so far! I was kinda angry at the time I first posted. It just became fairly frusterating that the program wasn't working as easily as I had hoped, so I'm sorry if I sound like I was bashing this. I'll be sure to let you guys know if I get things working better. I would really like this to work so I hope this is stuff is fixable.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:07 pm

I had this prob too, i got the videosetup from th e previous version and changed some settings.

go to my website http://www.geocities.com/cloud18041 to download it

place it in your reality factory folder

hope this helps

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:30 pm

For some reason some Guest decided to ressurect this topic to post something very uncomplimentary in it. Post deleted for innapropriateness/off-topicness/immaturity/ressurecting dead posts/...