HELP!

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
TheFinalCut1V

HELP!

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:56 am

I'm new at this forgive me but i have no idea how to add to my texture library, or where to get them for that matter. If someone could give me a walkthrough or somehting i would be much appraciated. also if its possilble recomend some sits to get textures. I'm a NOOB sry.

vegas WP

Post by vegas WP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:34 am

Here's what I do. I go to the Start menu, All Programs, Reality Factory, tools, RF Texture Packer.

When it opens, go to File and then Open. Browse to the directory where your texture files are kept (if you're not sure where, just search your disk for .txl files. Open one of the Texture Packs. Then drag a texture into the list and you should see it in your preview window. Save the file.

When you open RFEditPro, click on Project (alt + p), then level options. In the next window, select browse just below the Texture Library line. Pick the file you just saved. Hit OK at the bottom of the window. You should now be able to scroll through the textures to find yours.

As far as making textures go, you can create your own in a paint program, just save them as a .bmp and keep them as a multiple of 8 such as 128x128 or 256x256. A good program for this is Gimp, as it has a Make Seamless feature.
#11. Thou Shalt Not Use Cut Brushes.

psYco

Post by psYco » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 pm

I have found some great textures around just by typing ''game ready textures'' or ''game textures'' into google, there are loads of sites there many of witch have some free stuff, just have a look around... Also There is this great texture pack up for download from the RF filefront account, I think you just go on the home page and then to ''downloads'' and look for something called ''texture pack'' or ''mega texture pack''

Its a steep 128MB but its well worth it! I dont think ill ever need to look for textures again :D (I went mad for about 3 days and downloaded ever texture i could find, I have like over a 1000 now L:oops:L)

Anonymu$

Post by Anonymu$ » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:33 pm

You forgot to say "welcome to the forums" :)
If your newbie , u have nothing to say sorry about . thats why there are forums :)
:)

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:44 pm

You know, that way of treating new users has only been there for, i think, 1 or 2 years. I don't know who actually started it, but i think it was a good decision. So new users feel included in the community. Because of that, i have adapted this 'custom' in spite of the fact that i wasn't greeted this way - i think that even if i wasn't greeted this way, i can still do it to others.

So here comes the: Welcome to the forums, TheFinalCut1V! :lol:

And (@TheFinalCut1V): Don't worry about being a 'noob', if you call yourself one. I am pretty sure that everyone here was once a noob. It's no thing to be ashamed of. And because we all once were noobs, most of us are very willingly to help new users (and also the more experienced users if they have a problem they cannot solve alone) with their problems. (I hope i didn't offend anyone here)

By the way the texture pack is called photorealisticTexturePack and it is SOOOO good! Thanks again Steven8!
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:59 pm

thanks for the help

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:02 pm

um another question, how big do i make things like i dont know how big my charactres are so i have no idea how big to make my rooms, 3walls, ets.

-dan sanders

jonas

Post by jonas » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:51 pm

you can make it how ever big or little you want. and you can just adjust the scale of the actor to fit, in the player setup entity.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:53 pm

cool

vegas WP

Post by vegas WP » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:19 am

What I advise is to make the floor-to-ceiling height in a standard room to be 96 units tall. Then scale your actors and pawns to 0.70 in the ActorScale and PlayerScale boxes of your playersetup entity. This way, your room and actors will have a scale of about 1 unit to each 1 inch. A typical house would usually have a floor to ceiling height of 96 inches, or a 9' ceiling. An actor that is scaled to 0.70 will be able to pass through an 80 unit door which is in keeping with a real world typical doorway height of 80 inches. I like building this way because it keeps everything in the perspective reference of a typical person of average height.

Once you are accustomed to building levels in this fashion, you can start to go outside of that.

This also depends on your game itself. An example is the BattleBees game concept I'm working on. Since you are a bee in that game, the scale has to be much different. To a game that has a human perspective, an electrical wire might only be 1 or 2 units, but from a bee perspective, that same wire could be 70 or 80 units. Just make sure your scale is reasonable to the game you are making.

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:00 am

ok first off thinks fotr the help sofar, but when i downloaded th ephotorealistic texture file and tried to put it in the RF testure packer it said that the image was in the wrong format. and quit franksy i have no idea what to do. i tried chainging their names so that they were txl fileds but that didnt work. aaaahhhhhh th is is too confusing

p.s. sry for wiritting a frickin essay.

8======D sry just had to do it

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 am

welll guess it isnt an essay compared to what you allwrote so i take that part back. aaahhhhh!!!!!

vegas WP

Post by vegas WP » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:29 am

the photorealistic textures are in .jpeg format. Textures used in RF need to be in .bmp format. To do this, use a program like PhotoShop or GIMP (free) and open the photorealistic texture you want. Then use SAVE AS to save a copy of the file. However, select a different file format, specifically .bmp and you should be good to go.

Just remember that all textures must follow this pattern:

32x32
64x64
128x128
256x256
512x512

You can't use a texture that is 245x123, it won't work.

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:38 pm

thanks for the help. ill be good for a while but if i have any more question i will post ehm here, and your help wopuld be appreciated.

-dan

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:40 pm

also what is a unit. are they those little purple things? AND HOW DO I CHANGE the pics form photorealistic to texturres for the game, and how do i change thier format