HELP!

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
psYco

Post by psYco » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:49 pm

im actually not sure BUT i THINK that they are texels, I find that i just make a part of the level and play it until the actor feels the rite size for the world and just do it that way. Ive made a whole game in RF and had no idea what a unit is... Actually if you play school of the dead youll notice each level seems to be based on a slightly different scale... But as the creator i put it down to the zombies um making everything slightly too small or too big :D

Oh and welcome to the forum :D

(forgive me i forgot :roll: and now i feel bad cause I think that that was how I was first greeted... also I would like to say i still consider myself a n00b when it comes to game dev, thats just based on how much new stuff i learn every day :) )

psYco

Post by psYco » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:53 pm

w8 before you ask what a texel is (I was gonna explain and then got distract- oooo look something shiny...)

Oh yeah i was explaining what texel is, well its like a small measure ment of 3D space, it has no realworld relation (I kept telling myself it was an inch or something until allen smacked me upside the head and told me that its something about the ratio taht matters, so basically 1 texel can 'appear' as big or as small as you like just depends on the player scale. This all leads back to the point that games are illusions of the realworld, not equivilents...) so basically its like pixel just for 3D :D

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:28 am

one more thing umm how do i make doors and add NPCs, and how do you put modles in your world. :?:

vegas WP

Post by vegas WP » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 am

also what is a unit. are they those little purple things? AND HOW DO I CHANGE the pics form photorealistic to texturres for the game, and how do i change thier format
A unit can be anything. The smallest unit in the game as far as brushes are concerned is 1. I believe that refers to 1 texel. 1 texel can equal a foot or an inch or a mile depending on what scale you choose for your game. My BattleBees game has 40 units equaling 1 inch, and so if I make something that should be an inch in size in real life, it will need to be 40 units in my game. Now, on another game that I am working on, the scale is 12 units equals 1 foot. I just make sure all objects follow the same scale. You decide what scale is appropriate for the game you are creating. Just keep in mind that you can't make things smaller than one texel so consider that fact when choosing a scale.

As far as changing .JPEGs to .BMPs, that is done outside of RF. You need to do that with a separate application like PhotoShop. Gimp is free and does a lot of the same things as PhotoShop. After you tweak the JPEG to whatever size and appearance you want, you choose SAVE AS instead of SAVE. That way, when you save it, you can save it as a different file format instead of .JPEG. Just choose from the available list of extensions and choose .BMP.
one more thing umm how do i make doors and add NPCs, and how do you put modles in your world.
Doors can be created using the DOOR entity in your templates menu of RFEditPro. You need a model to associate the DOOR entity with. You can also create a brush that looks like a door, texture it appropriately and assign it as a model under the MODEL tab in RFEditPro.

You can add NPCs pretty easy. Just go to the Templates tab in RFEditPro and select the PAWN entity. Place that entity in the level where you want it. Once you have placed it, you can then click on it and edit the fields for it. If you see another lightbulb appear, you need to click the other arrow box in the tab above the views. Then, choose the .act file to use for the NPC such as ROBOT and choose a script that you want to use such as robot.s and you've got it.

I haven't started tinkering with placing models yet so someone else will have to answer that.

PS: Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new as well so I haven't picked up on this board's netiquette quite yet.
#11. Thou Shalt Not Use Cut Brushes.

TheFinalCut1V

Post by TheFinalCut1V » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:29 pm

whin i try to set the path for the door entity to go it wont pivot on the point of orgin? what are the exact steps?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:21 pm

psYco wrote:w8 before you ask what a texel is
Actually a texel is a TEXture pixEL. That just means that with a texture scale of 1 a 128x128 texture tiles perfectly over a 128x128 texel brush. With a texture scale of 0.5 it tiles perfectly over a 64x64 brush and so on.

That should make the word texel a bit clearer, and yes, the texel is the base unit of everything in RF.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----