What to download

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Elias

What to download

Post by Elias » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:24 pm

Hey,
I would like to use this software but i don't know what to download. Can somone help me and tell me everything i need to download to make the best of the best games? :P

And thanks for making such a good sotware to help us out!

thanks.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Welcome to the forums!! :D

In order to make a game with Reality Factory all you need is the main installer. Just download the full version and the update from http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... st-release.
Install RF and unzip the update to the RF folder.

All the necessary tools are included the main installer, exept for a 3D modeler. MilkShape3D (http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/) is a recommended modeler, but it costs 25€ (or $25). It has a 30 day trial period, however. 3DS Max can also be used, and the free version of it - GMax (http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax).

In the Reality Factory downloads section there's some other useful stuff, too. For example, if you're not happy with the default level editor (RFEditPro) you can download World Editor or RFEdit. I also recommend to download the free e-book 'Making 3D Games with Reality Factory' by Dan Valeo here. It's a bit outdated, but it covers the basics of RF pretty well.

Feel free to post any questions here if you run into problems. :)
Pain is only psychological.

Elias

Post by Elias » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Thank you very much for this!

All installed and ready. But how can i create my own games? theres only demos and all..

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Yeah, that's a very frequently asked question (can't be found in the FAQ, though. :?: )

Reality Factory is a game engine built around the Genesis3D rendering engine. The demo game that you get when you open RF is showing some RF's features. So RF is already a "game". You have to just add your own content into it - levels, characters, weapons, enemy AI etc... - and make it your game.

I think the best way to learn RF is simply to jump in. Open the level editor (RFEditPro in the tools folder) and try to get your first level into the game. :)
There should be plenty of tutorials about level editing around here. For example, on page 27 in the e-book I mentioned in my previous post there is a good explanation of the level editor basics.
Pain is only psychological.

Elias

Post by Elias » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:49 pm

This program was harder to use then i thought :?

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:39 pm

you'll get used to it. game making aint easy see? compared to the other engines though, rf is like a dream
Herp derp.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:43 am

how true,and isnt rf the only game engine that is free and requires no programming?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.