Engine Speed

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Sudi

Engine Speed

Post by Sudi » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:12 pm

I don't know but i would change something about the speed issue simply by not using the ini and ss files anymore.
u should write a little programm form that recompiles the rf.exe with implementing the ini and ss files directly into the code to improve the speed. and that everyone is able to do that just put in the free compiler dev c++....
i don't know but i wrote some simple progs to see if i could get a system like that to work to and i noticed that it takes a lot of time to run those ini file(maybe i wrote the code wrong but i dont think so) anyways that would make the engine way faster.....ok i'm probably wrong but if not wouldn't that be a good idea for the next release?

wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:16 am

I believe the "ini" files are processed once during start up but I could be wrong... by "ss" files are you refering to the script files?

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:46 am

how would the user change weapons, player settings, menu settings, etc.? also, rf wont compile with dev-c++ or any other free compiler known to man at the moment.

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:15 am

Yeah i refer to the script files with ss....
And u would change all the stuff still in the ini files but "plugin" code would than when recompiling RF include these inis in the hard code of the programm saeme with the script files.....ok u would have to recompile every singel time but it would run faster or am i wrong with the speed?
ok i didn't try to compile with dev-c++ i did it with mvc6 anyways when it doesn't work than nevermind about this.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:29 pm

i dont think it would increase speed any, it might decrease loading time by a few milliseconds... either way, ini = text, and it doesnt take long to load anyway(milliseconds in most cases)... the longest thing to load is what the ini files reference; actor files, sound files, picture files, levels, textures, etc. thanks for thinking about how to improve rf though, and i might be wrong...

Nout

Post by Nout » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:51 pm

Ini files are only read at startup. No frame rate speed gain can be expected from adding them into RF in a compiled way.

Scripts are read and interpreted during rendering. So they do slow down the engine speed. Making them in some way as a compiled version is possible but you need to know programming and how RF and Genesis work together. RF targets exactly the people who are not so strong in coding, and offers them by scripting still a way to code their own ideas, but in a more simplified way then if you would write real RF/Genesis code

If you want high speed, RF by nature is not the best you can find
If you want to create a game with no programming, RF is sure a good choice with a lot of flexibility