Washed out textures in RFEditPro?

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
FlyingPixel

Washed out textures in RFEditPro?

Post by FlyingPixel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:55 am

Hello everyone! I'm new here and have RF installed and working. My problem is when I import a new texture pack, the textures seems to be washed out. Weird looking! I've tried .bmp and .tga files and they both look the same way. They are just normal textures, 8 bit RGB, 24 bit resolution saved from photoshop. Any ideas what I need to do for these textures to show up correctly in RFEditPro? I'm gonna try and include an image of what I'm talking about. The textures with the red line around them is what they should look like. The good thing is that they show up correctly when I test the level. I just want them to show up in the preview.

Sorry about the attachment. Tried to add the .jpg file and all I get is this error....
Attachment cannot be added, since the max. number of 0 Attachments in this post was achieved

I've include a link to the image if anyone is interested.....its the only image under "My Images".

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/flyingpixel/

flyingpixel

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:29 am

perhaps its a gamma setting somewhere, idk otherwise.srry.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:48 am

Yes, welcome to the forums. You won't get your textures to look better in the editor. Some of my coolest textures are just just in the editor preview, but I don't worry about that. You just have to have the confidence that they will look good in game.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

FlyingPixel

Post by FlyingPixel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:57 am

Thanks for the reply! I was not too concerned about it, but would be nice to have a better preview. Is there a special reason why the default texture pack has good previews?

A couple more questions if you don't mind....

I've read that there might be a RF2. Will this be coming out soon or is it a ways off?

Also, I have read in other post that I need to do a "minimum install" in order to have empty game folders. I cant remember having this option when I installed. What is the best way to start fresh with a new game?

flyingpixel

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:08 am

FlyingPixel wrote:Thanks for the reply! I was not too concerned about it, but would be nice to have a better preview. Is there a special reason why the default texture pack has good previews?

A couple more questions if you don't mind....

I've read that there might be a RF2. Will this be coming out soon or is it a ways off?

Also, I have read in other post that I need to do a "minimum install" in order to have empty game folders. I cant remember having this option when I installed. What is the best way to start fresh with a new game?

flyingpixel
I do not know why the default texture pack looks so good and some of my own textures look crappy. I never have known that. QOD or AndyCR might know.

RF2 has a dev team of two awesome young men, and a tentative release date a few years away. There is an RF2 section here on the forums, where you'll find more details. AndyCR is heading that effort.

I'm not sure about the minimum install. I've not heard of that. It's been 4 years since I packaged a game. I just recreated the folder setup required for the game, put the files into the right folders that I needed, and pack it up with the VFS program.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 pm

What color resolution are you using? try to use 32bit for the windows desktop. Maybe that helps.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

scott

Post by scott » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:56 pm

sometimes they show up alright some times they dont, the preview of them are bad some times, it seems to show the preiview in 16bit colours, even in the actual preview window of your level they look allright i belive, its just the texture tab that seems a bit messed up.
*GD*

FlyingPixel

Post by FlyingPixel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:43 am

Its not that important anyway, was just wondering why they would not show up. I am curious as to what format the default textures where when they were first included in the pack. At least I have the texture info above the texture window to tell which texture I'm selecting. Anyway, on with the show....thanks for all your replies.

flyingpixel

Destron

Post by Destron » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:51 am

Flyingpixel:

your textures look fine to me, however I've noticed that all my textures look terrible in the texture list than when they're actually in the world.
What program are you using to edit your textures? If you want to make your textures more distinct, you could use a sharpen filter or brightness/contrast.

FlyingPixel

Post by FlyingPixel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:38 am

@Destron: In the image you will notice that the textures surrounded by the red line is what the textures in the texture window "should" look like. I copied and pasted the texture samples from photoshop and placed them on the screenshot. My textures in RFEditPro looks terrible. In the 3D window the textures look good when applied to a template. Even when I render and test the level the textures are correct. Sort of crazy why some textures look good and some look like.....well, enough said.

I use Genetica to create my textures and then a little fine tuning in Photoshop.

Destron

Post by Destron » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:04 am

Ah. I see.
Anyway, I don't really see why this is a 'problem', then - as soon as I figured out that my textures didn't actually look like that in the editor window/game, I didn't really mind it.
I thought it might have something to do with the fact that all my 24 bit, and maybe the little texture previewer was made for 16- or 8-bit images.

FlyingPixel

Post by FlyingPixel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:30 am

I hate to change the topic of this post, but does anybody know how I can download the Media Pack that goes with the PDF file Making 3D Games with Reality Factor by Dan Valeo. All the links that I can find takes me to http://www.gamecore.ca/ and a user name and password is required to download the media pack. Any ideas as to how I might get this Media Pack?

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 am

this is becuz the texture is high res. the preview doesnt show higher res textures well. happens to me all the time with my textures.
Herp derp.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:13 am

I hate to change the topic of this post, but does anybody know how I can download the Media Pack that goes with the PDF file Making 3D Games with Reality Factor by Dan Valeo. All the links that I can find takes me to http://www.gamecore.ca/ and a user name and password is required to download the media pack. Any ideas as to how I might get this Media Pack?
http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... php?t=1243