Trojan?

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
paulbg

Trojan?

Post by paulbg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:31 am

Hi
Just popped over from the old Genesis3D site after years of (my)inactivity. Got all excited by RF (has moved on a lot) but alas cannot run after install from the download. Everytime I try to run RF.exe SOLO virus checker wipes: Trojan Win32.WinZix.C from memory then deletes RF.exe as the source of the Trojan.
Have read the FAQ's, Wiped all my cookies etc...No Joy :?
Any suggestions Guys?

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Trojan?

Post by bernie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:16 am

Looks like you're getting a false positive. The only answer is contact your virus scanner people and get them to sort it. Or better still change your virus scanner. AVG is a good free one.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Which anti virus are you using?
Lithuanians for Georgia!

paulbg

Post by paulbg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:50 pm

SOLO 7.0 which is by SRNmicro It's always been the best I have ever used (disasters with all others). It saved my machine when Norton quarantined all why system files years ago!

I have emailed them to see what they say, I can't believe this hasn't happened to others...perhaps people just dump it and move on.
Still I have built maps for Genesis3d since 1999 and really do want to give the new RF a serious new look!

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:08 pm

Well, can't you just make it sleep for a while? I do that with my antivirus when I do something I know isn't harmful, but my NOD sends alarms
Lithuanians for Georgia!

paulbg

Post by paulbg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Probably will if SRN don't make a sensible suggestion. Although as this machine is a network server (Apache) and permanently online...bit of a risk?
Although I am sure the RF guys would like a solution rather than a fix? How many downloads just get dumped because of things like this?

Thanks for taking the time to reply chaps!

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 pm

install RF in another machine then simple copy the folder. RF installer doesn't write any registry key the actually you will need to make your game.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:39 pm

paulbg wrote: Although as this machine is a network server (Apache) and permanently online...bit of a risk?
lol, a bit of paranoia? :)
Lithuanians for Georgia!

paulbg

Post by paulbg » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:34 am

Just had a pos. responce from SOLO:

"Thank you for using Solo Antivirus.
I have forwarded your message to our virus lab. In case of a false positive, we will provide immediate update to fix the problem."

Hopefully this will help others also? I started this thread on the back of thread: Spyware in Reality Factory ?! which is now closed, so not just me eh?

I don't have another machine to put it on, they are all in storage 2000miles away. 'A'int it just the way! :lol:

paulbg

Post by paulbg » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Result!

Yes a false Positive. SRN's reply:

Thank you for the sample link. We have downloaded and analyzed the files. This is a false alarm. We have fixed our signature sets and released new update.

You can download and install full update from the link
www.srnmicro.com/customers/update.htm

So a bit of good done for RF. And it now runs! :lol: :lol: :lol:

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 pm

As I stated before: There is no trojan, spyware, maleware, virus or anything like that included in RF. RF is open source, so if you don't trust me, check the source code and see for yourself. :!:

paulbg

Post by paulbg » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:39 pm

:D Yes I believe you Quest of Dreams. :D
It's just I couldn't get it to run!

Now it does.
Now where did I put those old BSP's?