New user can't get past startup logo freeze...

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
TurboSi

New user can't get past startup logo freeze...

Post by TurboSi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:17 am

I searched all over and really couldn't find the info to help me out so I'm hoping someone savvy with RF can point me in the right direction.
If I launch RF from the tray I get the genesis logo and then it freezes (regardless of resolution, or mode). A scan of the RF log shows it stops at loading the character.ini file, at this point XP starts up dumprep.exe and I have to kill the processes.

Does the same thing from the editor but the genesis logo doesn't display, just black screen. I did have to correct all the directory entries to point to the install path I'm using and I think I got all of them.

My system...
AMD 64 X2 Dual / 4200+ @2.21GHz and 2GB Ram
GeForce 9500 GT with 1024 MB
XP SP2 Professional
RF is installed to E:\MyGames\RealityFactory

RFEditPro compiles the basic map file but goes to a black screen when allowed to run after compiling. No errors or warnings during compiling and no log file created. If "quick view" is launched I get a black screen for 1 second then the editor crashes and closes. The log file ends at "Loading Character.ini..."

RF Log file

Code: Select all

Searching for windowed driver

Initializing Game Shell...
-----------------------------------------------
--- Reality Factory 0.76                    ---
--- Build Date: May 25 2008, Time: 19:43:48 ---
--- For more Information, visit:            ---
---    www.realityfactory.info              ---
-----------------------------------------------

Parsed RealityFactory.ini file

Genesis3D Initialized

[INFO] VFS detected (not encrypted)...

Initializing Camera Manager...
Initializing User Input Subsystem...
[WARNING] File open attempt failed on type '9', file '.\keyboard.ini'
Initializing Audio Manager Subsystem...
Initializing CD Audio Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Midi Audio Manager Subsystem...
Initializing RF Menu Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Network...
Loading Menu.ini...
Parsing Menu.ini...
Loading Character.ini...
I'm fairly computer savvy and can figure out most quirks on my own but this has me stumped. Since I'm not sure what's supposed to happen when I click RF.exe (I'm guessing it runs the basic map as a demo?). I even unistalled it, re-installed it allowing the install to stick it in the default path but ran into the same path errors in all the files. So I went back to my original install and corrected every path error I could locate.

I've created tons of UT maps and was looking forward to playing with this and see what I could come up with.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: New user can't get past startup logo freeze...

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:51 am

It's probably the same problem that was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3455

The links to the modified exe mentioned in that thread don't work anymore, will try to upload it later ...

TurboSi

Post by TurboSi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:22 pm

I did find a post where someone had a different problem but it still crashed at character.ini

What they talked about didn't help me but I did notice if I allowed RF to load an empty character.ini file it went to the next step of giving me a load error and running a proper shutdown. I fired up the actor viewer and loaded the actor listen inthe ini and it views fine. It also references several bsp files so I loaded them into the editor, made sure the paths in the project pointed to the correct locations and recompiled them. Even went as far as following the tutorial, made a single room with player, start and environment and tried compile/run. Still crashes.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:59 pm

He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.