OpenGL faster than DirectX?

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
OffCG

OpenGL faster than DirectX?

Post by OffCG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Newbie question here. I just installed RF. When I ran one of the intro demos (Daniel) with the framerate selected in the debug option, I noticed that the Direct3D7 driver produced a much slower framerate than the OpenGL driver. The Direct3D7 was running an average of 35fps while OpenGL averaged about 130fps. The VideoSetup had only three options for video, Direct3D 6 & 7 and OpenGL.

Do I have the right VideoSetup program? Did I miss a setup step? Is there a DirectX version 9 somewhere that I missed?

Thanks for any comments.

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: OpenGL faster than DirectX?

Post by bernie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Welcome to the forum.
You have the right video setup. The direct x9 driver is not ready yet. Probably will be in the next rf release.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: OpenGL faster than DirectX?

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:29 pm

The OpenGL driver will still be faster than the DX9 driver because it is more lightweight. It does not support all the features of the DX7 driver. Until the engine batches correctly, the OpenGL driver will reign supreme as far as FPS is concerned.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....