GEditPro cannot find default *.txl

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Noob123

GEditPro cannot find default *.txl

Post by Noob123 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm

I just installed Reality Factory and was not able to use the RF Edit Pro link off of the All Programs Menu on my computer (XP sp3). (Full path is: Start->All Programs->Reality Factory->Tools->RF Editor Pro). I get the an error that reads, in part, "GEditPro cannot find default *.txl
Where is the default.txl, and where should I relocate it, or what should I rename it, to get the Editor to work from my all programs menu? (I can get the Editor to work by opening the tools folder manually and double clicking on the Editor Icon.)(The short-cut for the Editor on the RF Launcher gives the same error.)

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: GEditPro cannot find default *.txl

Post by bernie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:33 pm

This is not a bug.
1 Read the manual.
2 Do a forum search
This question has been answered hundreds of times

Noob123

Post by Noob123 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 pm

1 It is a bug - the program doesn't work, out of the box, so to speak.
2 There is no "Manual", and you shouldn't need a manual to fix a broken link, that shouldn't be broke in the first place.
3 The fact that so many people are having a problem with it should have gotten you off your lazy butt to fix it.

Now I suppose your going to ask for a donation, to a group of programmers who can't even get their own short-cuts to work -or don't care enough to get them to work, right?

jamieo01

Post by jamieo01 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Firstly like bernie said it's not a bug because I didn't get it and i've installed RF on 6 different computers. Secondly there is a manual it's in realityfactory/docs. Thirdly try loading rfeditpro directly from the tools folder.

So don't be rude to other members expecially veteran members like bernie and go put your dummy back in.

Noob123

Post by Noob123 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 pm

I'm not trying to be rude; we're just not on the same page.
One issue can be clarified very quickly: the "manual" you are referring to is a three-paragraph "Welcome to--" statement, and has nothing to do with operating the program or its components.
Secondly, a "bug" is not a computer virus, it's a component of the program that doesn't do what it's supposed to.
(I also stated that I could get the Editor to work.)
The last part of my statement was directly aimed at the programs current administrators, programmers, etc., and perhaps was too facetious; for this I apologize, but reiterate - if the problem has been consistently complained about, shouldn't someone fix it? After all, taking the time to learn a new program is always a bit of a chore, but this is greatly compounded when someone also has to learn where all of the bugs are at, and how to overcome them - if possible.
(I'm going to uninstall the program, and I'll be back in 6 months or so to see how things are going - this is obviously a work in progress; no offense intended.)

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:06 pm

The manual is in the docs folder. Its just an installation bug. It only happens to a very small number of people.
Herp derp.

jamieo01

Post by jamieo01 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:22 pm

There are also different sections in the manual and if you click on the index tab it lists everything in the manual. To use the default.txl file when loading the editor click project, level options and direct the texture library to your level folder which is in the media folder. I still say it's not a bug because a bug is a coding error which would mean that anyone who uses the program would get this error but only a small minority get this error.

Noob123

Post by Noob123 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:19 am

Well, I'm certainly old enough to admit when I'm wrong about something; the manual works fine, as long as I click on the show all tab.
I reinstalled the whole program, but the Editor still can't find the default file - it is where it is supposed to be. No big problem, I just have to tell it where the file is every time I open it: that's certainly bearable.
I'm just a bit of a sour puss when it comes to new programs: many of them really are just outright obnoxious - always trying to trick my money out of my pocket! :(
Now that I have the manual working, I'll give it another shot. Thanks for your responses and patience.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:35 am

Simply installing the program to C:\ instead of C:\Program files and starting the tools from the tools folder instead of from the links in the start menu will fix most of your problems. A simple search of the forum would have brought up these answers within a few minutes. That's really not too much to ask for.
The links not working correctly is a bug in the installer software not a bug of Reality Factory. (It has been fixed in the meantime but I haven't done a new installer since then...)

vegas WP

Post by vegas WP » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 pm

After reading here and doing some of my own work, I've decided to post the following work around which seems to work better. The issue seems to be that every reality factory file is located in a realityfactory folder but rfeditpro doesn't include this folder when looking for the needed .txl files. It also led to few entities, etc. when using rfeditpro, etc. Here's what I did and so far so good.

Go to start menu>accessories>windows explorer. In there you need to locate your rfeditpro.ini file. You can do a search using the start menu search (the annoying dog) for that file name and find it that way. Notice the full path for your default.txl file. It might be something like c:\realityfactory\media\levels\default.txl. Well, if you open the rfeditpro.ini in windows notepad, you will see that the path is missing realityfactory out of that path string. It might say \media\levels\default.txl instead of c:\realityfactory\media\levels\default.txl or c:\programfiles\realityfactory\media\levels\default.txl, depending on the actual path you chose when installing. In any case, you can edit the rfeditpro.ini file in notepad by simply adding \realityfactory before the \media\levels\default.txl line in the .ini file. If your reality factory is in the program files directory, you will have to edit accordingly by adding \programfiles as noted above. You may also notice several adjacent lines that leave out the \realityfactory in the path. Edit those as well so other things like entities will be available in rf edit pro as well. Now, when you save, you have to choose save as instead of just save. When you do save as, change the file type from .txt to all files then name the file as rfeditpro.ini which should prompt a "replace file" message from windows. Choose yes and you should be good to go.
#11. Thou Shalt Not Use Cut Brushes.