2 quick questions

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
hamchuck

2 quick questions

Post by hamchuck » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:40 pm

1. whats the best way to make a table or chair a and stuff like that. they dont have to move - just look like them

2. does anyone know where to find .txls of pavement and vinyl sidings

GMer

Re: 2 quick questions

Post by GMer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:58 pm

1) I would hope that chairs don't move :P (possessed chairs?)
Seriously though. Take some pictures of chairs from a back, front, side, then top view. Open up your modeling program (I use gmax) and make planes for each view of the chair. Think about the primitive shapes it is made of. Put those in and link them together, voila! If you need any more help modeling for your specific modeling program, I suggest finding tutorials for it.

2) Use Google images to find the pictures then "RFpack".
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:26 pm

You should use static meshes for objects like that.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

hamchuck

Post by hamchuck » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 pm

awesome guys. Thank you for the help it is very informative. I think i may be getting ahead of myself. Before i got any further i need to ask if RF can do what i hope it can. bear with me.

I am interested in making a FPS or 3rd person game. I want to make sure this will do what I hope it can before I commit. I want to make a game with a central location (an ordinary house). But i also want to have a normal looking run-of-the-mill neighborhood surrounding it. Maybe around 20-30 houses/stores surrounding it. You would only be able to get into like 5 or 6 of them. But you can explore the neighborhood looking for things to use.

It would be a zombie game. so here are my questions:

1. Is my idea too big for what RF can do?
2. Also, can you lock and unlock doors and move stuff in front of doors, board up windows (typical zombie survival stuff)

I am new to this so bear with me. I used the Duke Nukem Level editor almost 10 years ago so its been awhile

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:43 pm

1. No.

2. Yes. It requires scripting, but is all possible.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.