My .act file has no texture or animation

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
realityfactoryusr

My .act file has no texture or animation

Post by realityfactoryusr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello.
After exporting a textured and animated 3D model from Milkshape 3D and running it through the RF tool for making actor files.... It loads into RF but neither sound nor animations work. The model is gray in game, not sure what to do.

The process works from Blender->Milkshaped3D->(RF program that makes .act files)->RPeditPro map. No errors, textures and animations work fine in Milkshape3D. Help please.

Thankyou

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: My .act file has no texture or animation

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:22 am

You should have the following files:

BDY - Contains geometry for the actor
MOT - Contains animation information for the actor (motions). There should be 1 MOT per different animation. E.g Walk, Run, Idle
BMP/TGA - Texture for actor

You need to also add the textures to the additional files tab in Actor Studio. I suggest you try Equity as it can read the MS3D files directly and is much more user friendly.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:55 am

Thanks paradoxnj
When I import the .ms3d file into Equity it shows that I have 0 motion data. It animates in ms3d but it doesnt pick up in Equity or after exporting from Astudio. I can upload the file if it will help.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Equity doesn't pick up the motion from ms3d file yet that's normal. Save the motion from ms3d as mot file and load that into equity separately. Load the ms3d into equity then go to motions -> add motion*mot and navigate to your mot file.

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Bernie, your avatar suits you well. A wizard indeed! Everything is in working order. Animations load into Equity and translate *perfectly* into Reality Factory.

It will be a while before I have a playable demo but Im on it. Its still Derelict with a few changes. If nothing goes wrong, murphys law acknowledged, my next post will be maybe a 1 level demo in the old post.

Bernie, I would like to change the "Derelict" game post to a new thread. I was so excited that I hijacked Jays post by accident. If its ok.

Thankyou again bernie!