RF on Win7

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
evertalis

RF on Win7

Post by evertalis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi guys, recent member, just joined a while back, happy to be on board -- with a few suggestions for anyone out there using or looking to use RF on a Windows 7 based machine -- I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, so some of this might not be relevant, or there could be more than I personally experience.

First off, most tools and utilities run normally without issue, however, the ones I tend to use most have a few compatibility niggles -- as follows:

Equity - the version of Equity included in the package runs almost perfect on 7, but will close unexpectedly and randomly without displaying error when changing textures or adding motions. This is fixed by running the program under XP compatibility with Administrator privilages. The most recent version doesn't have any problems at all.

GenSurf - tends to freeze and crash when the user tries to input a custom formula (7 won't let it access Excel) running it under Windows 2000 compatibility allows it to communicate with Excel, but still crashes. Having Excel open on a blank book first before running GenSurf in 2000 compatibility is the best workaround I've found.

The Script Editor MUST be run with administrator privilages otherwise Windows Defender launches some garbledy-gook at you about malicious code...(?)...

The world editor runs perfectly, compiles and does its business without any problems to account - but the external application crashes constantly after the Genesis3D cogs -- again, this is just a matter of setting the compatibility to XP and run as administrator. The same goes for running the RF exe.

And there you have it...perhaps other Windows 7 users can add their own experiences/glitches/fixes so RF can continue to be the useful resource and tool that it is until some form of update is offered.

Gamemaker

Re: RF on Win7

Post by Gamemaker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm using Windows 7 and everything runs perfectly ;) , just like with my previous laptop which had LastXP.