Player actor falls flat on his face

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Creature

Player actor falls flat on his face

Post by Creature » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:08 pm

I create a room out of a hollow cube. I place PlayerStart PlayerSetup and EnvironmentSetup objects within the cube (as well as the camera). I compile and test the level. The player falls flat on his face and stays there. When I try to move him, he walks up and down the floor staying within the floor, as if he's crawling. When I press the Spacebar to make him jump, however, he does move upward (while still staying in the horizontal position paralel to the floor). I tried to play around w/ PlayerStart: Angle properties, and the furtherst I've gotten is getting him to fall on his back, instead of his face. I've also payed w/ PlayerSetup: actor rotation options, and the gravity option and didn't get anywhere either.

What do I do?

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:35 pm

copy the rotation values from those in the demo level that comes with rf. note that with these, due to a bug, you will have to in first person hit F1 or the view will flicker. this will not occue when you make your own player model if the player model is correctly angled right from the modeling program (virgil's angles are mixed up, i believge due to 3ds max using different angles than rf)

Creature

Post by Creature » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:45 pm

When I load the rftechv1.3dt level, the Entity Attributes show "unknown entity" instead of the normal atributes..

Also, the rotation atributes you advise to copy, are they in PlayerSetup object?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:55 pm

Go to Project->Level Options and in the field "Headers Directories" browse to where the file GameEntityDataTypes.h is located (this file contains the entity definitions)
Usually it can be found in C:\RealityFactory\source

Creature

Post by Creature » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:05 pm

Thanks, guys! :) I finally made it work. The player is standing up straight and is reacting properly to the directional buttons.

1 problem, though: the F3 to set the camera to Diablo style doesn't seem to be working.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:45 pm

1 problem, though: the F3 to set the camera to Diablo style doesn't seem to be working.
open the camera.ini file and under [General] change
switchtoisopersonallowed = false
to
switchtoisopersonallowed = true

for more info consult the docs ;-)

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:35 am

I have the ActorRotation set as -90 180 0 in the playersetup.ini.
My player is still on his face. I have corrected the player angle in this manner before and it worked fine, but not this time. Is there something else that I have to do?

That's really odd. It just started working all by its self.

I'm a little eeeked now. LOL
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.